Author Topic: Custard's CityRPG  (Read 6269 times)

Custard's CityRPG
A CityRPG based off of realistic city functions

Information
This CityRPG contains many features and plans that a lot of CityRPGs tend to overlook. This includes mayoral elections, capitalism, corporations, sales tax, industrialization, economics, etc.

The features will be explained more in depth below.
Gallery

If you have any other pictures of the city you'd like to share, send me a picture of it through an image hosting site, and I'll paste it onto the original post.

Features
All of the features below are either already completed, or pending in completion. Any pending feature will be marked with a  red ^ symbol.

City funds
The city funds is basically the city's economic status. Paychecks come from the city funds, and taxes go to the city funds. Your paycheck can rise and lower depending on how much money is in the city funds.

The city funds give: Paychecks, Welfare, Labor paychecks, etc.

The player's give: Property tax, sales tax, initial lot price, etc.

^Mayoral Elections
Every 4 years, a mayor is elected from a group of eligible citizens running for office. Any player can run for office, just as long as he/she has attained a level 6 education, and a clean record.

To run for office, the player must type /job mayor before the next mayoral election. The player is then automatically submitted into the ballot, and from that point on, players may vote for that player, if desired.

To vote for a candidate, the player must type /vote candidate. The candidate then receives the vote of the citizen, and that counts towards his/her total vote. A player may only vote for one player, however, and cannot retrieve the vote once it has been submitted.

After all of the votes have been tallied on election day, the winner is announced, and that person, from that day on until the end of his/her term, is officially the mayor of the city.

Mayoral Position
The position of mayor holds many responsibilities, and is often excessive in comparison to the power of real mayor's. However, due to complication issues, we have basically shoved all the powers of the city into one job.

The mayor has the power to /setpropertytax and /setsalestax. Property tax is the tax you pay for your lot, and sales tax is the tax you pay for purchasing goods. For instance, if the mayor sets the sales tax to %10, and the item you're purchasing is $50, then the tax on that item is $5, making it a total of $55. The city gains money from these taxes, and therefor taxes are extremely necessary for the sake of the economy.

The mayor will also have the ability to purchase federal land, in order to build new banks and buildings. Federal land costs money to maintain, depending on the size, however. So it is to the city's best concern that federal land be maintained, and kept to a minimum by the current mayor.

Further along the line, mayors will also be able to appoint players to certain positions. For instance, if a player is educated enough, and has a clean record, the mayor may appoint him/her to the police chief position. However, a mayor cannot appoint more than one appointee to the desired position.

All in all, the mayor has plenty of powers, and will likely have more in the future. Therefor, it is wise that you take an election seriously, or you could wind up with a power hungry idiot for four years.

^Farming
Farming in this CityRPG will be more simplified and easier to function than others. No models will be necessary, as the bricks will literally grow themselves.

The player will be able to grow cotton, and wheat, which will be units used to create clothing and food. The growth process will be split up into a timescale of 6 months, and the colder months like fall and winter will prove to be unsustainable for agriculture.

^Industrialization
After the farming and laboring process comes the industrialization process. Raw goods are no longer usable in this CityRPG for things like food and clothing, and therefor must be processed by factories and processing plants.

The factories then process the goods, and distribute them to grocery stores and shops. This process completely wipes out the need for a labor brick itself, and increases capital among citizens.

^Capitalism
One major thing people tend to miss when playing CityRPGs is the fact that the industry is basically communist. That's what we're trying to change with this CityRPG. Let me explain...

Right now, the entire labor sector is run by the city. Players don't even need to buy goods in order to sell their items, the city just gives the items to them, and takes a chunk of money out of the base price when the item is sold. This is nearly communist. The only reason Iban implemented a communist system was because it was easier to maintain, and the economy would stay stabilized.

Unfortunately for you guys, I like catastrophes. I like realistic implementations. Therefor, I'm passing the wheel to the players as far as economy goes.

Here's how it'll work...

A farmer grows some wheat on his farm, and sells it to a processing plant. That processing plant then processes the wheat, and that wheat turns into one solid unit of food. The processing plant then either sells the food straight to the consumer, or to a local grocery store. That grocery store then sells the food to the consumer as a small ration, at an estimated price of around $8.

Each wheat = 1 unit of food

1 unit of food = 1 size

So if I'm selling a medium sized hamburger instead of a small, it'll require 2 units of food, and cost around $12.

This system is simple enough, and will work the same way for cotton to clothing, ores to guns, and lumber to bricks. Eventually things will pick up, and corporations will be developed. Money will be flying left from right, and no longer will the economy be straight forward, or blunt.

^Income Tax
Income tax is made to benefit the poor. Mayors can set income tax rates, which aren't exactly the same for each and every individual. For instance, if the rates are set at %10-%50, the richest person will pay %50 of his income to wealth redistribution while the poorest will only pay %10. This is an extremely unfair rate, but it's easier to explain mathematically this way.

So, the poorest person on the server earns $20 a tick. Therefor, he pays $2 in income tax.

However, the richest person in the server earns $150 a tick. Therefor, he pays $75 in income tax.

The poor man makes $18, while the rich man makes $75.

And then comes wealth redistribution...

The wealth of all of the players comes in at around $1000, and is pooled according to who needs it the most. The rates are then flipped, and the poorest person receives $75 in financial benefits while the rich person receives $2. Therefor, if your paychecks are moderately average with everyone else's, you probably won't see many huge financial benefits.

With this system, wealth gaps will become less of a problem, and people will live better, despite financial position. Keeping the rich rich while at the same time promoting the advancement of the poor is great for an economy, so it is up to the mayor to set good rates.

And finally...
More features and ideas will be added later on. It is wise to note that most of these features haven't been added yet, but have definitely been considered and edited for realistic, and simplifying purposes.

We hope to see you at the server!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 09:01:22 PM by Custard »

Just from a skim, I'd like to provide the words of Squideey:

Holy peaches. It looks great, man. :D

Looks amazing, I'll prob be there later, so look for Doomed :D

Looks pretty good, I'll drop by later.

there are some really nice builds here.

you still owe me for my food shop you deleted :(

I'll be opening this tomorrow, but I wanted to get this topic up today.

school, and sports. hmm

haha I opened it. I'll leave it up despite unpopularity this time around.

hope you guys have fun!

REOPENED :D

I miss my giant hotel. I know Racerboy will remember it.

Ahh the memories of chasing badmins on sniper sprees :D