Author Topic: Light Fix?  (Read 3417 times)

fishpen0

just give bricks shadows and ill be happy.
no.

I agree that this should not happen because a closed room would be very dark and this would mean you have to light the inside of every room you make in a build, this would cause lag.  Along with the fact that having all those shadows would cause lag as well.

This also means that if the only light source in the room is my light, and I have it set to a big enough radius, and I move, the shadow also moves. Also, if two lights shine, or if colored lights shine, very complicated shadows can be produced. I imagine that all this prediction would wreck havoc on the server.

How about something like ray tracing. Instead of a full relight scene, the bricks in the radius of a light datablock will have rays sent out. The sides they hit are the areas(1X1X1 Sections) that get lit on a brick.

To reduce lag it could be done ounce for each brick.

If anything is possible in torque like Badspot said i'd like to have a moment to laugh at all the "smart-guy wanna-bees" who say something isn't possible in a suggestion topic.
Raycasting involves casting 480 000 rays every frame (for 800x600), each ray has to bounce off every polygon they hit (thus, has to calculate normals and the new ray cast from the polygon), and calculate the pixel color which involves formulas for ambient/diffuse colors. If you want a framerate of 50fps, that would mean 24 000 000 every second. And there are 2 more problems involving raycasting: it eats memory and it eats CPU cycles, not GPU cycles.