37 (78.7%)
Keep it the same!
6 (12.8%)
Lower it!
1 (2.1%)
I don't care.
3 (6.4%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: Raise the Projectile Speed Limit!  (Read 3495 times)

Many blocklanders who play in DMs think that hitscan weapons are "cheap", and they can be. But, when it comes down to it, hitscan is often a preferable alternative to the ridiculously slow bullets that are the maximum speed for projectiles. I suggest that, to hit that perfect "fast, but not instant" shot, the projectile speed limit be raised.

Please reply if you care about this and keep this topic alive. And yes, I know this was suggested before but that topic was dead so I decided to start a new one.

200 speed bullets go pretty fast.

200 speed bullets go pretty fast.
They go at an okay speed for sniping when someone is standing still or moving at a set speed, but if someone's dodging it's more a case of "spray & pray" rather than aiming because by the time the bullet reaches where they were, they'll be somewhere else. With faster bullets it would be more a question of skill rather than luck.

I don't really know what the reason is for the speed limit actually. Would faster projectiles just be too buggy or something because of Torque and bricks?

I've PMed him about it. No response.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 09:11:39 PM by Nasoa »

It might have been to bring them more in line with the default weapons which don't have very fast bullets.

You can always use a raycast for an instant hit of course. If you want to simulate the bullet taking longer just stick a tiny delay in between firing the gun and firing the raycast. Of course this means you don't get projectiles, you'll have to just have no bullets or use a different method to show a bullet.

I was pretty sure there was a sniper rifle that use raycasting instead of a projectile. Honestly the whole projectile system is pretty odd in general, I can't think of many games that track each bullet as an individual physics object. I think it was really intended for artillery and thrown stuff, bullets in this game seem like an afterthought.

This has been suggested multiple times before, and from what I've read, it requires an engine change.
You better hope that happens in the next update for BL.

I'm going to take a guess that the speed limit has something to do with how fast Torque can receive packets from the server.

I actually played during those times the speed limit was around 2000.

Bullets sometimes go through bricks and/or through blockheads themselves.

Instant-hit, but not always reliable.

Of course it shouldn't be too high. I think around 500 would be fine.

I'm going to take a guess that the speed limit has something to do with how fast Torque can receive packets from the server.
That would mean: "Engine limits" so no one can do anything about it.

-bigtextsnip-
Is it possible to cheat and write a function that detects distance, which then decides the delay factor for the raycast?

I'm not sure the exact reason for this, but I do know that the limit wasn't there until several versions after release, and Badspot intended for it to be there.

That would mean: "Engine limits" so no one can do anything about it.
Well stuff.

Is it possible to cheat and write a function that detects distance, which then decides the delay factor for the raycast?

Laser Pointer can detect distance up to 2000 units.