Author Topic: The Computer Megathread  (Read 421078 times)

windows 7 is nice enough to create a system restore for me every 7 days even though i update my OS.

and there's a laptop that wasn't updated.

and then stuffty video drivers happened. (would it surprise you if it was caused by amd?)
during updating the video drivers BSOD and restarting made the computer do something extremely weird.
Checking drive E: for errors in 10 seconds, press any key to cancel checking.
it did that on every startup except for safe mode ones, and by the way, the OS was installed on drive C:
HPs quickweb was E:

cancelling it and going ahead to windows, no drivers.
installed more and restarted, BSOD on startup now, same error checking bullstuff.
gave up, went to safe mode and system restored a few days earlier because i'm not going through the bullstuff of fixing it.

congrats AMD, your 7k cards are stuffty and i will continue to see them as stuffty.

Did you even install the right driver? I have never had any problems with AMD. I have a 7850 and it hasn't let me down.

Did you even install the right driver? I have never had any problems with AMD. I have a 7850 and it hasn't let me down.
notebook graphics 7kM series driver.

last time i checked my brothers laptop had a 7690M but im probably drunk.

i had a driver issue on another driver that was still AMD but 6770.

it looked like the computer was drunk and it made these weird windows aero green border things and the screen constantly flashing black.

rolling back fixed it, fortunately.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 11:21:58 AM by Trymos »

second one, although both are equally terrible in price to performance

second one, although both are equally terrible in price to performance
Suggest me anything better for €800.
Pre-build please.

i don't know where to start for (insert European country here)

Since you're back Ethan I wanted to ask you, how do you clean your desktop and how often? I plan to clean it about every three months or so, but I'd like to hear how you go about doing this so everything doesn't get too hot or slow down.

Windows 8 Professional (full licensed retail version, gets updates, doesn't expire ever) has been out on Dreamspark Premium for a while now. You can get two keys (32 bit and 64 bit but they are interchangeable) and the license covers one desktop and one laptop per key as I recall. They're free and they work forever even after your subscription expires.

I've been running Windows 8 on my laptop for a few weeks now. I quite like the new start menu and being able to snap metro applications on as a sidebar is useful. It take a while to get used to but I find it easier and faster to use than Windows 7. Not having a touch screen or GPS is kind of lame though, although it's easy enough to fix the GPS issue with a USB antenna.

I haven't had any issue with program compatibility although my laptop is missing a few drivers and using generic ones instead. Windows 8 starts up to a usable desktop/menu way faster than Windows 7, boot times on hard drive seem comparable to some older solid state drives now so that's cool. Also Windows 8 has native mounting for floppy, cd/dvd, and virtual disk images which is pretty awesome.

When I hadn't used Windows 8 I thought it was going to flop. I wasn't especially enthusiastic about switching over to it. Now that I use it I think it's probably going to be pretty popular.

One thing that I don't like is that when you install new programs it literally stuffs the icons out all over your start screen. After installing Visual Studio 2010 I had to delete something like 20 tiles off the start menu. You wouldn't normally need to do this on a Windows System because it would stick them all in folders. You can still bring up all your applications by right clicking on the start screen.

I have a friend who installed Windows 8 on his netbook. The resolution of the netbook is so low that metro apps (I guess it's modern now, not metro) won't run. He's switching it back to Windows 7 but his laptop still has 8.

I've got my desktop hooked up to a TV right now (also letting a friend borrow my desktop since I wasn't playing on it much). I'm probably going to order a blu-ray drive and a ssd, when those come in I think I'll format it and put 8 on it since the start menu will probably look nice on a TV. Actually most metro themed applications intended for tablets work well for TVs too, because the metro style in general is good for controlling with a gamepad. No surprise there I guess since they've been using something similar on the xbox for years.

Someone should build a really loving nice computer inside of one of those old IBM/1990's computer cases for the lulz.

"Ohey man check out my computer"
"Dude wtf is that stuff"
-power on-
-Battlefield 3 ultra settings upwards 80 fps-
":OOOOOO"

Someone should build a really loving nice computer inside of one of those old IBM/1990's computer cases for the lulz.

"Ohey man check out my computer"
"Dude wtf is that stuff"
-power on-
-Battlefield 3 ultra settings upwards 80 fps-
":OOOOOO"

Gameboy Color with a i7 CPU hooked up, go!

> my parents
> "OGM APPL IS BEST EVERRRRRRRR"

> me
> "it's cheaper to build your own"

> my parents
> "OGM UR RONG APPL IS BEST N ALWAYS WIL B BEST"