Author Topic: The Computer Megathread  (Read 421067 times)

bump
GNOME 3 is scaring me :(

Gnome 3 is stuff, you aren't missing much.

They have issues with ATi iirc.

Gnome 3 is stuff, you aren't missing much.

They have issues with ATi iirc.
I know GNOME 3 is stuff, I would have rathered KDE but GNOME seems more of what I wanted for this laptop (after tweaking)
This isn't an ATi card, it's an Intel 915GM. It has no issues with Unity 3D (for whatever reason) and doesn't give polygon corruption under anything else except GNOME 3

It is illegal, but so are drugs (I hate to compare the two) and they are allowed on the forums
yeeeeah

sort of a hair away from the piracy rule, but it depends on Badspot's stance.

forget HP. My customized laptop was delayed an entire week.

forget HP. My customized laptop was delayed an entire week.
Was it held up in shipping or before the shipment was processed?

Would anyone know how to halt the Samsung Syncmaster 231n's MagicBright feature?
the monitor is ~10 years old, and the buttons no longer work right...power now just freezes the selection, menu wont work, auto adjust wont work, it wont shut off, the brightness settings are broke, and the magic bright button only calls up a MagicBright flashbang of auto select.

Alright, so I have some magic coupon for a $20 discount on Windows 7 on NewEgg. Should I grab it while I can or hold out for Windows 8? Looking for opinions.

I've been grinding on Vista for too long.

When I watch youtube videos from my keyboard, the quality in sound is 100x better but when I play them in my internet browser they suck.

Logitech +199

Rest of society -1

Alright, so I have some magic coupon for a $20 discount on Windows 7 on NewEgg. Should I grab it while I can or hold out for Windows 8? Looking for opinions.

I've been grinding on Vista for too long.
get 7
8 is dumb

i did a nice job supporting my opinion there

i did a nice job supporting my opinion there
yeah i'll give it a whole 4/5!

Crap. So last night it was wicked windy. I was doing something else so I had left my PC in Sleep Mode. While it was in Sleep Mode the power went out. Keep note there were no storms or anything, just wicked windy - power outage. I have everything plugged into a surge protector. So when the power went out, I turned off my speakers, unplugged my monitor and switched off my PSU so when the power came back on everything wouldn't start back up while I was at school.

Anyways, I just got back and I plugged the monitor back in, turned on the speakers, and switched on the PSU. I turned my PC back on and it was really slow at first - it reloaded everything exactly as it was when I put it into Sleep Mode, before the power outage. Regardless I restarted my PC. I've heard that your power going out while your PC is in Sleep Mode can blow out the PSU, but everything seems to be working fine.

Is that just a myth, or could something really be wrong? Should anything be wrong? What should I check to make sure nothing is wrong?

Is that just a myth, or could something really be wrong? Should anything be wrong? What should I check to make sure nothing is wrong?

power strip or surge protector?

APC SurgeArrest Personal

I'm positive it's a surge protector.

APC SurgeArrest Personal

I'm positive it's a surge protector.

you're probably totally fine then