Author Topic: The Computer Megathread  (Read 420940 times)

So the OS isn't installed on the HD?
It's on the mobo?

AAA I'm so confused.

So the OS isn't installed on the HD?
It's on the mobo?

AAA I'm so confused.
OS is on the harddrive. Mobo is what goes "hey, the OS is on this harddrive so I better boot this one up!"

OS is on the harddrive. Mobo is what goes "hey, the OS is on this harddrive so I better boot this one up!"

Then why do I need to reinstall if I'm keeping the same HD, and why do I need to reactivate

Even better yet,

HOW do I reactivate/install

what are those things called that you can put on your computers optical drive bays, that can read things like ssd cards? i might add one to my computer, one witHOUT ANY loving USB PORTS OR AUDIO PORTS CHRIST

what are those things called that you can put on your computers optical drive bays, that can read things like ssd cards? i might add one to my computer, one witHOUT ANY loving USB PORTS OR AUDIO PORTS CHRIST
Uh, card readers?

Uh, card readers?

there are none that connect up via SATA and have no usb ports, help meeee

150 FPS on max settings looking at the particle mindforget effects of the Marker.
Oh my loving god that is beautiful.

Then why do I need to reinstall if I'm keeping the same HD, and why do I need to reactivate

Even better yet,

HOW do I reactivate/install
microsoft doesn't want people just putting their old hard drive in a new computer

i think you can by calling microsoft support, dont quote me on it though

Okay I'm going to ask a potentially very obvious question that will make me look like a computer handicap, but I've never been able to find where the list of my computer's parts are or what their specs are.

Okay I'm going to ask a potentially very obvious question that will make me look like a computer handicap, but I've never been able to find where the list of my computer's parts are or what their specs are.
find computer model on case or inside
google
????
profit
Alright,
So what steps do I take about this whole windows thing?

ALSO
Reinstall via internet, as in download it?
How big is Windows, lol.
Back up anything important to an external hard drive, DVD, or flash device before installing the board and try booting it up normally after installation. If it doesn't boot properly, insert your Windows installation disk, and it's pretty straight-forward from here.
Provided you own a Windows key, but the installation disk is destroyed, you can either call HP to get another one, or (this may be illegal in your area) download the media.
An install of Windows 7 (after updates) takes around 30GiB - 50GiB
microsoft doesn't want people just putting their old hard drive in a new computer
It also prevents piracy, seeing as a when you activate your copy of Windows, and there's a major hardware change between the computer it was activated with (most cases the same computer, but a different board, this still counts as a major hardware change) and another computer, the key becomes non-genuine and in most cases cannot be activated again. Activating by phone doesn't check for hardware changes, seeing as a representative is giving you a code to put in, it circumvents any hardware detection but only works if the key is genuine.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 10:58:56 PM by KoopaScooper »

why did i click post goddamn it loving forget forget

I don't know why you'd need to reinstall, but you'll definitely need to reactivate.
It's easy, when you boot up it'll be like "hey this computer looks different" and you just follow the instructions.

I don't know why you'd need to reinstall, but you'll definitely need to reactivate.
Hence why I said "if it doesn't boot properly."

koopa suggest a stupid way of doing it

just type dxdiag into the run program thing or the command prompt
if you have windows 7 (and possibly vista and even possibly xp, I don't know) you can also just type it into the start menu search bar and hit enter
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 11:05:11 PM by Littledude »

No psu, mobo, slots or total wattage on dxdiag