Author Topic: Computer keeps crashing?  (Read 535 times)

Ever since yesterday, my laptop has been shutting off on me. My dad took a look at it and apparantly, the battery was being a bitch. So we took it out, cleaned it up a bit, and my computer worked well right after that.
Unfortunately, whenever my power runs low and I plug in my charger it shuts off minutes later. It's almost like it's trying to keep up with the power supply. I'm not going to spend $100 to have some cigarette from the GeekSquad come look at it so I'm resorting to the internet. Anybody have any ideas or suggestions regarding my problem?

NOTES:
-My computer is an ASUS [Republic of Gamers] Gaming laptop with 12GB+ RAM, around 6-8 dual processors, and 575GB harddrive space.
-It may be a coincidence, but ever since I downloaded a Steam game called 'Sanctum' the crashes happened. The graphics are trippy, even for my computer and it lags when my graphics are set to High.
-I take good care of my computer; constantly polishing the screen and keyboard and making sure to do a "start menu shutdown" vs. the power button each time I turn it off.
-I've had this computer ever since December 25th, 2010.
-This laptop was purchased brand new from Best Buy.

Look at Critical events in the Event Viewer.

Instead of resorting to spending $100+ to have some cigarette from GeekSquad come look at it, try contacting ASUS tech support.

It sounds like hardware failure, more specifically your GPU likely.

Look at Critical events in the Event Viewer.

How would I do that?

Instead of resorting to spending $100+ to have some cigarette from GeekSquad come look at it, try contacting ASUS tech support.

It sounds like hardware failure, more specifically your GPU likely.

I could call them yes, but what is a GPU?

NOTES:
-My computer is an ASUS [Republic of Gamers] Gaming laptop with 12GB+ RAM, around 6-8 dual processors, and 575GB harddrive space.
6 to 8 dual processors?
What the forget are you on, lol.

Real specs are on the dxdiag page.

Start > Run > dxdiag

Post entire contents of the first tab, and the display tab.

I could call them yes, but what is a GPU?
Graphics Processing Unit.

It makes all the pretty 3D pictures.

I think I've figured out the problem. It's no coincidence that it shuts off when I play that Sanctum game. I've played each of my games for 2 hours each with no problem but when I got on that one, it shut off 12 minutes later.

6 to 8 dual processors?
What the forget are you on, lol.

Real specs are on the dxdiag page.

Start > Run > dxdiag

Post entire contents of the first tab, and the display tab.
Still do this though. I'm interested as to how you got 6 to 8 dual processors, lol.
Also, is it overheating?