Somewhat cartoony
Cartoony
Super cartoony
Slightly chibi style
Chibi style
Ultra chibi style
Super cutely deformed overload
Doesn't matter

Author Topic: Anime and Manga Megathread  (Read 1234099 times)

Code
motherloving
GEASS
Alright, there's one. Any others? I've seen most of Cowboy Bebop and the Ghost in the Shell series. Mainly the type of stuff I'm interested.

I've never really looked into manga.

Any solid suggestions for sci-fi/huge gundam -esque robots/ actiony stuff?
For manga?  That's a much harder question because I honestly don't know of any popular manga that's mecha.  Most of the time when people are talking about those, they're speaking about the shows so I guess you could find a popular show, then look for it's manga.

For manga?  That's a much harder question because I honestly don't know of any popular manga that's mecha.  Most of the time when people are talking about those, they're speaking about the shows so I guess you could find a popular show, then look for it's manga.
Alright, thanks for the help.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 10:32:55 PM by Doshiegg »

I've never really looked into manga.

Any solid suggestions for sci-fi/huge gundam -esque robots/ actiony stuff?

Series:
Mobile Suit Gundam/Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam - watch these two together. They are iconic, and in my opinion represent the pinnacle of Gundam (Zeta takes place 8 years after Gundam).
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - if you watch Code Geass before any of these and like it, you might like this. They are similar in the sense that the first season is excellent and the second season degenerates into crap.
Turn A Gundam - Right after Zeta Gundam as the best series. Less emphasis on action, more emphasis on characters and morals.
"The 90s Group" - My name for Mobile Fighter G Gundam, Gundam Wing, and After War Gundam X. The latter two are somewhat similar and the first one is more of a shonen type thing with Gundams thrown in. Each takes place in a different timeline rather than the original one. They're all very good and different from the first few Gundam series if you don't really like those.
Mobile Suit Victory Gundam - if you like a lot of people dying. Excellent soundtrack.
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED and SEED Destiny - If you WANT to like Gundam, don't watch these. In my opinion, these send the completely wrong message when compared to previous series, but the terrible writers were skilled enough to disguise it for the stupid people.
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ - Sequel to Zeta, starts off comedic and ends more serious. If you're a completionist, you can watch this. It's not required but I don't exactly recommend it (though I did enjoy it).
Gundam AGE is similar to 00, good first half and unbelievably stuffty second half.

Movies and OVAs:
Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack - wraps up a rivalry seen in Gundam/Zeta Gundam. If you plan to watch those, watch this.
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn - Takes place 3 years after Char's Counterattack. Lots of references to characters from the same timeline. Currently airing.
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket - A very different view on the Gundam universe. 6 episodes that make a very good statement about war. Takes place during Mobile Suit Gundam, but has completely different characters. Highly recommended for people that don't like the regular Gundam series.
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory - described by some as "Top Gun with Gundam." I found this enjoyable, has a more "realistic" portrayal of Gundam. Takes place between Gundam and Zeta Gundam.
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team - Very popular, as it shows the story of ordinary grunts rather than the "special" protagonists of the norm. Takes place during Mobile Suit Gundam. I think it's a little overrated, but I still like it a lot.
Gundam SEED: C.E.73 STARGAZER - If you happen to put yourself through the self-mutilation that SEED will incur, this might remedy it a bit.
Mobile Suit Gundam F91 - a little confusing because it was originally supposed to be a series. Takes place between Unicorn and Victory Gundam, and was supposed to be a "reboot" of sorts. If you want expansion on the characters, read Crossbone Gundam (which is a loving AMAZING manga)

Other mecha:
Patlabor. Patlabor Patlabor Patlabor. I have yet to watch the series, but the first two movies are directed by Mamoru Oshii and have a VERY Ghost in the Shell-like feel to them (not Stand Alone Complex, but the movie). The first OVA, Early Days, is very good.
Macross - I've seen Super Dimension Fortress Macross (first series) and liked it a lot. Macross 7, its sequel, has excellent music. I'm about 8 eps in but I like it. Haven't seen Frontier.
Eureka Seven - awesome, period. Sequel (AO) is a little disappointing, movie was meeeh.
Here I'll restate the thing about Code Geass where the first half is awesome and the second half sucks stuff. But that's just me, you might actually like the second half of Code Geass.
Neon Genesis Evangelion - This one's hard to explain. It's about people with major problems regarding individuality, reliance on other humans, self-perception, existentialism. It's pretty mindforget. If that's not your schtick then you can watch Rebuild of Evangelion, which is completely different.
Gurren Lagann - This is more Super Robot, as opposed to the Real Robot of Macross, Gundam, and Patlabor. Super Robots are generally extremely powerful with mysterious origins and such.
Space Runaway Ideon - This is rather depressing. It's about an insanely powerful, practically god-like Super Robot whose powers makes every single character in the show its pawns. Directed by the same guy who did Gundam, Zeta Gundam, Gundam ZZ, Char's Counterattack, F91, and Turn A Gundam.
Combat Mecha Xabungle - directed by the same guy (Yoshiyuki Tomino). It contrasts with Ideon in that it has an incredibly comedic overtone. The overall storyline is pretty serious though. I liked it enough.

Code Geass is awesome. That is all.

the second season is full of stupid.

also I listed a bunch of anime series instead of manga because I can't read but that changes nothing.

Hay guise, can you guise suggest me a good anime?

the second season is full of stupid.

also I listed a bunch of anime series instead of manga because I can't read but that changes nothing.
Actually it does matter because manga is updated way less then anime, and translated pieces you might only ever find 13 chapters of something that is normally 40 or 50 and that's really annoying.

Also my list.

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Benofdoom

ALSO WINNER!

http://cdn.awwni.me/bracket/bracket_round8.jpg?v7

Uh.

Suprise?