Mirror tool

Author Topic: Mirror tool  (Read 1094 times)

I'd like to request a tool that takes a selection of bricks and mirrors it around the x/y-axis.
Why would I want this? Many builds are symmetrical around a plane. But I cannot use this for my advantage by using the duplicator. So I end up having to mirror everything by hand. When the builds are complex, this is not an easy task (well, it is. But it takes time).

I'd like a tool/script that takes a selection of bricks and mirrors it (kinda like the duplicator, only mirrored).
If this is not possible/to hard to do, I'd like a script that takes a save and mirrors it. This could be done pretty easily by changing the sign of every bricks x- or y-position (not both, as this would equal to a 180 degree rotation)
Look at the attached picture if you don't understand what I mean.

EDIT: I just saw that the bases of the mirrored versions don't match. But you get the point...

That's nice, but sadly not all the bricks would fit correctly. Meanwhile some bricks just use 2 rotations, all ramps will come out forgettyforgetityforget (maybe?)

That's nice, but sadly not all the bricks would fit correctly. Meanwhile some bricks just use 2 rotations, all ramps will come out forgettyforgetityforget (maybe?)

How is the data for ramps stored in save files then? The orientation gotta be saved somewhere...

How is the data for ramps stored in save files then? The orientation gotta be saved somewhere...

Yes. Save files..

Are you saying you can rotate the save files?

Meh, as I said, it would work. But I am not sure how will it work with some of the more awkward bricks.

Save files are completely open-source, really

it saves all the bricks position, datablock, rotation, etc in the files

There was a mod somewhere that converted regular builds to an upside down counterpart. Maybe the same can be done horizontally?

There was a mod somewhere that converted regular builds to an upside down counterpart. Maybe the same can be done horizontally?
I believe that converting horizontally must be easier than vertically.

The problem is that some bricks (mostly ramps) require different rotations to mirror them.
Symmetrical bricks wouldn't need to be rotated at all
Corner ramps would be rotated 90 degrees
Normal ramps would need to be rotated either 0 degrees or 180 degrees, depending on which way it is facing.
Some bricks (custom bricks only, I don't think any default bricks are like this) would need to be switched for a completely different brick.

One problem I'm noticing just looking at the picture:
Isn't Y vertical/height, and Z the 3rd dimension-width?

In Torque Z is height

I don't know how Blockland handles this, but I'm used to having Z as the height. The choice of axes doesn't really matter though...

Hey guys, why dont we warn the guy if it has custom bricks
/problemsolved

Hey guys, why dont we warn the guy if it has custom bricks
/problemsolved
As Headcrab Zombie pointed out, the problems are the ramps. I still think it's worth a shot.