2011/11/16 - Blockland r1491 - Teledoors

Author Topic: 2011/11/16 - Blockland r1491 - Teledoors  (Read 59790 times)

I can plant a teledoor brick inside another teledoor brick.

I tested that, and it can make a trap box. You simply can't get out. This definitely need a fix, since it's extremely simple griefing, and it shouldn't be too hard to fix.

Edit: Removed full description, don't want to contribute to giving people any ideas.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 11:23:18 AM by MegaScientifical »

Edit: Removed full description, don't want to contribute to giving people any ideas.
it's sort of obvious anyway lol :z

it's sort of obvious anyway lol :z

Surely, but I'm sure a few people won't understand without a description. Not like they can't get it elsewhere, but I was a little blatant in my description before. So I fixed it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 11:41:33 AM by MegaScientifical »

... or two doors facing each other.
that's just a reflective mirror.
* Kingdaro yawns.

Badspot

• Administrator
I tested that, and it can make a trap box. You simply can't get out. This definitely need a fix, since it's extremely simple griefing, and it shouldn't be too hard to fix.

Another way to build a trap box is to build a loving box.  Getting trapped is not some huge new vulnerability in gameplay.  Just ctrl+k to get out. 

Another way to build a trap box is to build a loving box.  Getting trapped is not some huge new vulnerability in gameplay.  Just ctrl+k to get out. 

Code: [Select]
function serverCmdSelf Delete(){}
function kill(){}
  :cookieMonster:

I'm genuinely surprised you responded the way you did to this. I expected you would be perfectly okay with doing a minor fix to prevent this whenever you felt to do so. I didn't expect you to fight the idea at all, so you've caught me off guard. Comparing building a box to making a teleporter trap, you only need to set down two bricks, and the script forces the player permanently in place. Of course Ctrl+K or F8 can escape this, but the point is it's much quicker, and sudden to the victim, to build in comparison than a box or spamming bricks. I guess I could also mention you don't get as many warning planting clicks.

If it's any trouble, you can pass. As a personal opinion, I think it's are to easy to grief using this, but my opinion doesn't really matter.

For an opinion that doesn't matter you sure say a lot. Anyone who utilizes the building macro could trap someone in a matter of seconds in less than 2 clicks. If it truly becomes a serious issue I'm sure he will do something about it.

Indeed. I suppose I just thought it wouldn't be hard to fix, and it's new anyway so little fixes would be understandable.

Indeed. I suppose I just thought it wouldn't be hard to fix, and it's new anyway so little fixes would be understandable.

How would you "fix" it in the general case without also breaking legitimate builds? Like Badspot said, you can just box up a spawn or do a million other variants on the idea. And let's not forget that a popular mod, Jail RP, is built around the concept of being locked in a box.

Code: [Select]
function serverCmdSelf Delete(){}
function kill(){}
  :cookieMonster:

If you join someone's server and they lock you in a box forever and keep you from respawning, you may want to leave and join another server that doesn't suck.

change the disconnect function on there client <3

How would you "fix" it in the general case without also breaking legitimate builds? Like Badspot said, you can just box up a spawn or do a million other variants on the idea. And let's not forget that a popular mod, Jail RP, is built around the concept of being locked in a box.

Just thinking two of them within each other (I suppose just visually), facing each other wouldn't be hard to detect. I haven't heard of anyone using that in a legitimate sense, but if it can be, I suppose I'll leave it at that. Sorry for the trouble, again.

change the disconnect function on there client <3
It's a good thing you can't do that unless they download something.

And then they could just close the game.

Why did I think that the teleport transition would be instantaneous.

Why did I think that the teleport transition would be instantaneous.
Because mods that teleport are so poorly made that you have lower expectations.