Author Topic: Port forwarding hassle - just not working at all.  (Read 480 times)

I've been trying to port forward for a year now and this is starting to grind my gears.

I'm using an Cisco e1000 Linksys and while I was trying to port forward, I noticed this.

It's a static IP thing.

So I try to just copy what was on my static IP, but I got a message saying

"Router IP equals to the Subnet Mask. Please correct it"

I tried everything I could, but I can't port forward period.

It doesn't look like you're in the right menu for port forwarding, what exactly is the problem?

It doesn't look like you're in the right menu for port forwarding, what exactly is the problem?
I have no idea! I did everything correctly and used the port checker and it says that my ports aren't opened.

Don't set a static IP like that through your router, that's for the IP that your ISP assigns to you.
It's the IP that your router assigns your computer that you want, which you did through IPV4 properties in the other screenshot.

Set the first screenshot back to DHCP (or whatever setting you're supposed to use)
Post a screenshot of the command prompt after running 'ipconfig /all', and the port forwarding page on your router

You do not need static ip's.

Type ipconfig in command prompt. (Why the forget do you need the /all? all the information you need is fine without it.)

You do not need static ip's.

Type ipconfig in command prompt. (Why the forget do you need the /all? all the information you need is fine without it.)
You need the /all to set up a static IP. So you don't have to keep re-port forwarding if you have multiple computers that actually get turned off.

... I never found it a hassle to log in and change the last two digits of an ip every couple of days...

I guess I have more patience than some people, or maybe I'm a dumbstuff who couldn't figure out how to do a static ip?

Probably the latter.

... I never found it a hassle to log in and change the last two digits of an ip every couple of days...

I guess I have more patience than some people, or maybe I'm a dumbstuff who couldn't figure out how to do a static ip?

Probably the latter.
It's more of a hassle than setting a static IP once and never needing to do it again.