Author Topic: Computer won't detect my SD card  (Read 1996 times)

I have been trying to get my computer to read my SD card, but it doesn't seem to pick it up. I've pushed it in as far as it would go and waited a while, and it still doesn't pick it up.

When I check 'Devices and Printers' on my control panel, I always get an 'Unknown Device'. I've tried troubleshooting it, but that hasn't helped at all.

There seems to be a light next to the SD card slot. There's a light similar to it next to the MS/MS Duo port on my computer, and it lights up. However, the one next to the SD card slot doesn't.

I recall my mom having some trouble with the little box that my SD card is on, and it was something about it not being placed properly. If I remember correctly, it wasn't secured or something so pushing on it would move it around a lot. I'm not sure how she and my dad fixed it, but it's currently securely in it's slot.

The box with the SD card in it has the following ports/slots:
Top row: MS/MS Duo, CF/CF II, USB2.0
Bottom row: SD/MMC, XD, T-Flash, M2

I'm running Windows 7 on a Cyberpower computer.

If anyone knows how to fix this, it would be much appreciated :c

EDIT: Quote from when I click 'properties' on the Unknown Device:

Manufacturer: (Standard USB Host Controller)
Device Status: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 10:20:54 PM by carolcat »

Did you install the SD card reader's drivers?

Try using another SD card and seeing if that works.
If your device was made before 2005, it may not support SDHC, which is why the computer isn't recognizing it.

Did you install the SD card reader's drivers?
I would've assumed it came with the computer. When the troubleshooter checked for drivers, it didn't find any that I needed to make the 'Unknown Device' to work (I'm assuming it's the big port thingy I described)
What's an SD card?
It's something people commonly use in cameras for extra space. They can use it for phones and such too, but eh.
Try using another SD card and seeing if that works.
If your device was made before 2005, it may not support SDHC, which is why the computer isn't recognizing it.
I got this new computer sometime mid-last year. I remember it being Dead on Arrival and the Cyberpower customer support being stuff.
But I'll try another SD card.

EDIT: Just tried my sister's SD card, still doesn't pick it up.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 10:18:18 PM by carolcat »

Go to the manufacturer's website and look up drivers for the device, your computer should have a service number of some sort.

I believe I have the same problem as you. I can't find any drivers for my card reader thing, and although the light comes on when I put in my SDHC card, nothing happens in the computer itself.

I have this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820342002

yeah this is a driver problem.

I believe I have the same problem as you. I can't find any drivers for my card reader thing, and although the light comes on when I put in my SDHC card, nothing happens in the computer itself.

The light doesn't come on at all for mine, but the light for the MS/MS Duo is always on.
Also, that looks incredibly similar to the one I have.
Go to the manufacturer's website and look up drivers for the device, your computer should have a service number of some sort.
It tells me it was manufactured by Microsoft, but on Properties it tells me that everything is either unavailable or unknown.

I'm going to try finding a driver for it.

It might be too big or something. I have a 1GB SDHD card that my computer detects, but I have a 4GB SDHD card that only my laptop detects.

Personally I would just buy an external USB powered SD card reader - they're seemingly less of a hassle and they're only $10 or so.

It might be too big or something. I have a 1GB SDHD card that my computer detects, but I have a 4GB SDHD card that only my laptop detects.
The one I first tried was 512MB, the second was 2GB, and currently I'm trying my sister's 4GB.

Anyways, I'm heading to bed, I'll the replies in the morning <3

http://www.elogisys.com/viewsku.asp?SKUID=FP528BK&DID=ACCESSORY I found mine on the manufactors site.

Personally I would just buy an external USB powered SD card reader - they're seemingly less of a hassle and they're only $10 or so.

I also have one of those, but even that fails. :panda:

http://www.elogisys.com/viewsku.asp?SKUID=FP528BK&DID=ACCESSORY I found mine on the manufactors site.

I also have one of those, but even that fails. :panda:

This definitely sounds like you do not have the correct drivers installed. Try googling for them.

If the drivers for whatever reason don't exist or can't be found, it could either be a problem with the SD card itself or the reader. Maybe you just have bad luck.