Author Topic: UV Coords  (Read 1524 times)

I was just wondering if there was a specific way to work out the UV Coords for BLB files - I've taught myself the basics of everything else, and can create bricks with relative ease.

Is it just trial and error? Or is there a more efficient way?

I've seen UV coords in the blb files, but I don't even know what they are =(

Basically (Correct me if I'm wrong), TEX: is the texture to use, and the UV Coords position it.

Bump. I still need help with this.

U and V are 2 extra axis for texture alignment. Dunno how they work in BLB files though, although it could be worth a shot at aligning a texture in a milkshape model of your brick, and exporting to MS3d ASCII, then looking at the UV coords in there.

From what I've seen (I had to edit the UV coords to make my one-way window), UV coords are kind of a "texture trimming" coordinate... 1 0, 1 1, 0 1, 0 0 will show the whole texture, but increasing the 0s or decreasing the 1s "trims" the edges of the texture, giving the SIDE texture, for example, a flatter "side". I'm guessing that the UV coords are the "percent" of the texture to trim, usually a very small amount (like 0.01 or 0.98). Also, setting different UV coords can also "stretch" the texture in different ways.

A better way to explain them is saying that each UV coord specifies where "on the texture" each corner of the "quad" or quadrilateral, a four-sided figure that can be any shape, is located. With irregularly shaped "quads", the UV coords have to be adjusted so the side looks correct. Look at the slopes' sides and try to visualize it.

Hope that helps!