Author Topic: Crappy monowheel sketch  (Read 734 times)

It sucks, but it's coming along in my head in terms of functionality. This version uses a rather strange but functional joint to make the inside of the monowheel be able to tilt independent of the outside. The black wheel is a flywheel, used to counter the torque of the actual tire. In another version that I did in pencil, which I no longer have, I used a foot pedal to change it from normal to reverse, but that's simple enough; a lever with the drive shaft in it; drive shaft goes to gear, universal joint makes drive shaft mobile. Gear engages with drive wheel or flywheel.
Note ye; I am using an attachment for it because the detail can be a little tougher to see than normal, so it can be downloaded faster, viewed in a different zoom level, etc. I know that the wheel itself is not perfect with the concentric rings, but I didn't have the patience/interest to make it perfect.
Also note, this is WIP. I'm just trying to get the idea out of my head.

If you see any glaringly stupid mistakes or parts that just wouldn't work, please tell me.

I'm sorry, but if you thinks it sucks the why would you share it? I like the idea of it by the way.

I'm sorry, but if you thinks it sucks the why would you share it? I like the idea of it by the way.
what.

im sorry i didn't understand the point of that statement

what.

im sorry i didn't understand the point of that statement

It makes perfect sense, what is wrong with you?

On Topic:
I like the idea of it by the way.

It makes perfect sense, what is wrong with you?

On Topic:

... you're kidding me right.

... you're kidding me right.

If he thinks that his sketch is so bad, why did he post it? Perfectly valid question.

Why are you recreating this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoKPdebrVOY
I obsess over monowheels on a weekly basis. Just thought I'd share the product of my musings and ask if there was anything blatant that I omitted.
Because I want it to be better, and for it to be better, I need more outside perspective. What parts am I missing (I don't have something to mix gasoline and air yet, wait for it) or what would simply be structurally impossible. Thanks for the thought on the idea. I'm not making this version particularly sleek or anything, just functional. Once I know exactly what to include, I will go into stylized detail.

EDIT: Also forgot to say that the hinge (bottom and left) that makes it so that it can tilt is not completely functional if you build that out of legos with just hinges. It requires a part to slide.
In the diagram I have attached, the block that slides in the center is motorized and will not turn inside the slot. When rotational force is applied, it makes the whole thing tilt. Now, why did I think of this in stead of using a more conventional hinge? I have absolutely no idea. It's pretty cool, though, isn't it?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 01:12:01 PM by Katadeus »