11 (24.4%)
Half of it
9 (20%)
Not that much of it
8 (17.8%)
None of it
2 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: Does portal receive too much attention?  (Read 1833 times)

One thing I never got about the series is this:
The fanbase.
Everyone seems to praise it as the best game ever, even before portal 2, but it could have been better in some respects.

For starters, the first one (and the second one, but not as much) was way too loving short. I was really "OMG OMG" when I was about to buy it, but after completing it once or twice, I stopped obsessing. The rest of the orange box was alright, though.
Second of all, the price. I really can't imagine paying all that much for a puzzler i'll never pick up again when i'm done with it. Portal 2 could be better priced at £15(currently £20), and portal 1 should have released at a few pennies more than it's current price. I should also point out that Killing floor, a game that's a bit cheaper than/the same price as portal 2, has a stuffload more replayabilty. Same with tf2, which is currently miles cheaper(effectivley a few pennies) and has a million more hours worth of playtime.
Third, the story appears to be only there so the game isn't really dull, and the occasional silly comment from wheatley/glados/that crazy bloke lightens things up. as amusing as it is, it feels a bit tacked on to me.

Now, the simplified level maker in portal 2 is coming soon, which makes it a bit better, but... Does it REALLY deserve this much praise? I know that it's got a nice soundtrack and good visuals here and there, but why is it obsessed over like this?

Portal 2 was absolutely amazing imo.

Leave it to the children to not understand. Suffice it to say, a game doesn't need to be long or replayable to be great. Maybe you'll understand that when you're older.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 11:39:16 AM by MegaScientifical »

maybe, but nothing can ever match minecraft in overhypedness. you know there's a problem when TIME tries to pass it off as an "invention" or something without actually giving a legitimate reason for including it.

maybe, but nothing can ever match minecraft in overhypedness. you know there's a problem when TIME tries to pass it off as an "invention" or something without actually giving a legitimate reason for including it.
so true.

And the fact that portal has been injected into a fair amount of indie games is just a bit worring.

Killing floor - Aperture
The ball - A set of test chambers in it
Defense grid - DLC
Dungeon defenders - Pre order pack
Audiosurf - [AS-portal]
AAAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAA - Portal levels(?)

Leave it to the children to not understand. Sufficed to say, a game doesn't need to be long or replayable to be great. Maybe you'll understand that when you're older.
By this logic, CoD and Homefront's singleplayers are works of art.

Leave it to the children to not understand. Sufficed to say, a game doesn't need to be long or replayable to be great. Maybe you'll understand that when you're older.

suffice it to say*

There's Portal 2 promotion in Amnesia's Justine Expansion.

There is this girl I know who is kinda cute that obsesses over Portal and we argue Half Life vs. Portal a lot

Portal is a puzzle + comedy game. It isn't that popular.

And the fact that portal has been injected into a fair amount of indie games is just a bit worring.

Killing floor - Aperture
The ball - A set of test chambers in it
Defense grid - DLC
Dungeon defenders - Pre order pack
Audiosurf - [AS-portal]
AAAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAA - Portal levels(?)

Most of this is from the ARG