Author Topic: Dubstep: Volume [Free DL, and other songs too!]  (Read 10544 times)

What wires? The ones that attach to my monitor, laptop, midi keyboard, keyboard, mouse, tablet, wireless reciever, usb hubs, reciever, number pad, xbox controller, tv, and other random USB stuff.
Everyone should post their questions and requests here lmao stop PMing me you guys posting here helps everybody who reads it

Literally copied straight from the PM I sent you.

Hey JD, I was wondering if you'd be willing to help me get started using FL Studio. I've wanted to create music with a computer for quite a long time now, and I recently got FL. Upon opening it, however, my mind was full of forget. I experimented around a bit, mostly with the Piano Roll because I couldn't figure anything else out for the life of me, and managed to get a nice, simple beat going. But beyond that, I'm clueless.

Help a bro out? :)

And yes, yes I would. (:
To put it simply, you need to know how to use the Step Sequencer, and Playlist. (among other basic obvious features)
You basically make patterns in the step sequencer (which is where the channels are listed and where you get to the piano roll for the channels) and place them in the playlist.
this is an example of that:

This guy has it set up so each track is a different pattern. (mostly) Each pattern contains only one channel, if not, audio clips and automation clips.
You just need to know basic music theory to actually start making stuff that sounds decent, and know how to do this and work the synths and samples (channels) that you've installed or that come with FL. It's that simple.
When it comes to exporting (making your project an audio file) the file, you just go to File > Export > MP3/WAV/whatever floats your boat
any questions feel free to ask, I'd rather you did

also if anyone could send me a sample of Some Guy Yells at Some Cats, that'd be great, because I can't record it due to driver issues and Audacity being a little monday ):

I'm extremely well-educated in music theory and I've been playing the piano for 11 years, so I've got that part down. The only thing left is to know where to find all the stuff in that image in FL.

Also, it would be awesome if you could make a sort of general step-by-step guide for what you do when you create a song (that's a general "you," not you in particular, JD). What I mean by that is, step 1: add this stuff to this area, step 2: change this pitch and alter this frequency, etc.

...actually, re-reading that paragraph, I realize that it would be different for every song, so nevermind. Here's a better idea, could you take a screenshot or two of your FL workspace and point out where everything is and what it's used for?

Oh and here's the entire audio from "Some guy yells at some cats." (Right-click > save link) 5.3 MB
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 12:17:00 AM by Raeyok »

Yes lol in just a second (:
ghetto as forget but whatever:

1: Playlist - Click to open
2: Step Sequencer - Click this to open the step sequencer
3: Piano Roll - click to open piano roll of the selected Channel
4: Browser - Click to show or hide the browser, for presets samples etc
5: Mixer - Click to open the mixer
6: Help - click for help from FL lolol
7: File - to open file menu
8: Edit - for copy/paste/etc functions
9: Channels - to open channels
10: View - to open different windows (1, 2, 3, 4, 5 are shortcuts)
11: Options - not important but you should check it out
12: Tools - do not bother with this.
13: Help - for help, like '6'
14 + 15: PAT and SONG, Pattern means you use (16) Play to play the pattern, if selected. SONG means you use (16) Play to play the SONG aka what's in the Playlist (1).
16: Play - to play the Playlist or Pattern that you currently have selected with (20) the pattern selector.
17: Stop - durrr hurrrrrrr stops what's playing (you can use Spacebar for play and stop)
18: Record - don't bother using this unless you plan to record external sources, or MIDI. will explain later if needed.
19: BPM - IMPORTANT!!!! beats per minute, Trance/Dubstep/House are usually 130-140.
20; Pattern Selector - selects patterns, you can have as many as you want.
21: Tracks - can be turned on and off, are used for placing Patterns in in the Playlist (1).
22: Pattern - can be placed in the playlist (1) and can be accessed with (2) the Step Sequencer and by double clicking. can be moved around like a note in the Piano Roll (3)
23: Browser - where you can find your samples and presets.
24: Snap - to synchronize your patterns and notes to a certain 'pattern (not to be confused with a Pattern in the Playlist)' so as to help create rhythm. Usually, I recommend Line. 1/2 step, 1/4 step are both also useful, but Line is the most useful. If you're trying to make a hardstyle melody or something like that, feel free to use 1/3.

Parts of each of the main tools:

1: Step Sequencer:
1 Channel: Used for samples (percussion, FX) and synths (Sytrus, Massive, Nexus, etc)
right click to go to Piano Roll, and other functions.
2 Channel (synth)
3 Channel mute/solo: click and right click to mute/solo a channel, green means it's unmuted.
4 Pan: left/right balance, center for centered panning
5 Volume: controls Channel Volume, can be accessed by clicking the Channel and editing parameters
6 Channel Select: click to select one or more channels for copy/pasting what is to the right of the button (notes in the piano roll, steps)
7 loop: Loops the steps in the channel (usually you should have this on to be safe)
8 'sequence' length: should be 4, 8, 16 etc for a 4/4 time signature.
2: Mixer
1 Master Track: the track that all other Mixer Tracks go into. don't forget around with this**
2 Track: where a channel goes when you (select channel>right click track>link selected channels to this track) link it to that track. this way you can add FX, etc
3 FX Tracks: you get 8 per track, where you can load FX like reverb delay and equalizing
4 Equalizer: (I recommend Fruity Parametric EQ in the FX tracks instead) basic built in equalizer
3: Piano Roll
1 Note: can be extended or shortened, placed with Left Click removed with Right Click.
2 Ghost Note: (activated with 3 (menu) Helpers>Ghost Channels) useful when writing melodies and chords. I recommend turning this on. displays notes from other channels in the pattern you're working on
3 Menu: click here to access basic functions like copy paste etc
4 Velocity: certain synths don't work with this function, but it represents teh 'velocity' or 'how loud the note is.' can be edited from note to note.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 12:44:10 AM by JD »

JD, is there any resource you would recommend for learning music theory?

JD, is there any resource you would recommend for learning music theory?

I know you're not asking me, but I'd recommend myself, I can teach music theory. :)

I know you're not asking me, but I'd recommend myself, I can teach music theory. :)
oyay
When and where?
name the date bb ~

enjoy my ghetto tutorial.

that's actually really helpful, thanks.

Holy stuff that's helpful. Thank you so much man. I have to go to bed now but I'll be sure to take a better look at that tomorrow.

oyay
When and where?
name the date bb ~

We can probably just converse over PM'ing, but perhaps it would be helpful to others if we just discuss it here in the thread.

yes it would be very helpful lol
holy stuff that was a huge pain in the ass

stuffty bump, this is actually pretty bad, but I was just really screwing around
work in progress picture by the way, how's it look?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbk7VCzPYxE&feature=youtu.be

I guess I can triple post if it's all new content, right? :S
Early Mourning
This is actually worth your time. Extremely chill, but also very depressing. I like this. A lot.
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/download/461122
^NewGrounds download link
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 05:43:33 AM by JD »

ugh now to find samples