Poll

?

Architecture
8 (66.7%)
Civil engineering
4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: My future.  (Read 343 times)

I've recently been thinking a lot about what to do with my future. I've been wanting to look into architecture for quite a while now, however I've never been strong at math so it would take a lot of will power. Both of the careers I'm considering are quite big things, but both require significant amounts of math. I figured this will be another one of those "suck it up, it'll get better" things. Architecture has always fascinated me since I started playing Roblox when I was like 11, and civil engineering came up last year when we had a speaker in Algebra II talk about his career and all it required and all you can do with math. His job description, just about all of it appealed to me to the point where I think it'd be a great career for me. I've taken numerous of the stupid tests the counselors make us take for career aptitude or whatever, and architecture has always been in the options.

My dad started talking about it and said there's always the option of joining the service. It's money, food, a place to stay, new culture, and it's even possible to go to school while in it (and not even pay for it). This is tempting. I would join the air force if anything - I've heard it's more laid back and not as physical (right up my alley, I'm more brains than brawn).

I plan on doing some research on colleges, maybe apartments and jobs up in Duluth. I couldn't stay here and do what I want to do locally - after all, there aren't many farms hiring architects or the like on a daily basis. I don't live next to a city more than 60,000 that I even like. I love Duluth - it's big, there's chances for jobs, cheaper places to live, and colleges. The only thing is it would be starting a new life. I'd have to find a new job, a place to live, a school (obviously I wouldn't go if I didn't have school), and probably a roommate that isn't flaky. Maybe I could just do the air force thing then go to Duluth with the savings and just live there.

And the ACT is still there, as are scholarships and everything else.

I just need some pointers from anyone willing to offer some. Experience knows best, imo. :U
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 09:02:15 PM by Caution »

Something to help with architecture; slide rule. Get one, use it, feel like a boss.

I'm starting to wonder if that's even realistic, I can't find like any programs in Duluth for architecture.

Ugh...

Are you sure you shouldn't just be searching for Civil Engineering? I've heard of a lot of people who originally thought they wanted to be  in architect, but civil engineering was actually what they were thinking about.

Err I didn't see the poll you put, looks like you're already realizing the difference between them.

But anyways, are you more concerned about practically designing things, or more on the artsy side? Whichever you side you pick, you'll learn to hate the other in college.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 09:43:15 PM by Nitramtj »

But anyways, are you more concerned about practically designing things, or more on the artsy side? Whichever you side you pick, you'll learn to hate the other in college.

Artsy how?