Author Topic: Help with modifying the Portal Gun  (Read 812 times)

Since Space Guy's never gonna do it, could someone tell me how to edit the portal gun to have see through portals? It's possible in Torque because of that mirror in AoT, so could you guys help me?

Taking the following facts into account:
  • Mirrors and the portals in the real game work very differently
  • There still is no mirror in Blockland even though it has been suggested multiple times
  • This has not yet been made
  • You needed to ask a question this broad
  • Your name is terrible
I would say that you will not be able to make this due to your lack of skill and/or engine limitations.

• There still is no mirror in Blockland even though it has been suggested multiple times
  • Your name is terrible
I would say that you will not be able to make this due to your lack of skill and/or engine limitations.
I'm really sorry just I can barely do anything and I really thought you guys would be nice to me (considering you guys aren't ever nice to me) and help me. But whatever. I guess I'll just give up.

• Your name is terrible
You were a little harsh here, Demian

Mirrors were disabled after GSF Ghost used them in his house remake, because it would cause a ton of errors and show duplicates of a build, example, 256,000 bricks turn into 512,000 bricks

also created a rendering issue on the player, where you could look at yourself in first person and you would be invisible
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 04:08:34 PM by soba »

This wouldn't be a mirror, it would be a render-target camera. I see very few game engines which have render-on-target cameras.
And to do this despite this very obsolete engine.
But it's not prohibited, so it may, just may work. At worst it would require an engine tweak.

This wouldn't be a mirror, it would be a render-target camera. I see very few game engines which have render-on-target cameras.
And to do this despite this very obsolete engine.
But it's not prohibited, so it may, just may work. At worst it would require an engine tweak.
Whether it's possible isn't really the question, it's whether or not it can be done cleanly, without using hacky, unstable code, and whether it can be optimized to a suitable point.

Considering the fact that torque can't even get U/V Texture Coordinates right I don't see this happening.