My computer fan got incredibly loud and then my system shut down completely.

Author Topic: My computer fan got incredibly loud and then my system shut down completely.  (Read 505 times)

While I was talking on skype and playing blockland, my computer fan (I do not know which, it might have been my GPU fans/CPU heatsink or just my case fans. I can't check) got incredibly loud and my monitor reported that there was No DVI.

The sound continued until I shut off the power using the switch on the back of my PSU. I tried turning it back on at no avail.

The power light on my motherboard didn't even turn on after flipping the switch again.

Anyone know what the problem is? I'd suspect overheating so I'll wait awhile and then try again. Otherwise, help me out.

You probably melted a crucial piece of circuitry.

You probably melted a crucial piece of circuitry.
My case has 6 different fans and my PSU doesn't smell like anything burned inside of it.

I'm starting to think dead PSU, because I've always had a loose fitting CPU fan and I checked it and it's still firmly planted on the heatsink.

It's either that or that something went wrong with the motherboard. I have a bunch of spare PSU cables hanging around my case, is it possible they may have caused damage to my motherboard?

The power light is NOT glowing on my motherboard when I flip the power switch.

maybe dead mobo, maybe dead PSU from what i can tell.

have a spare psu?

It's neither.

I waited 30 minutes and was able to boot successfully.

Everything seems fine, but I'll try monitoring my GPU temperature from now on.

I also found that my CPU fan is barely hanging onto the heatsink. Anyone have a tip on how to get it to stay on?

By attaching it with screws or whatever is advised.

yeah follow the directions heheh.

if its broken dont try and jury-rig it, just get a new CPU heatsink/fan, they're not too expensive (especially considering you might end up frying your CPU if you dont have it properly cooled, and thats way more expensive).

doesn't even have loving screws.

It has these weird rubber things that I could never figure out how the forget to get them to hold onto the fan well.

Can I use a rubber band or maybe a plastic bread bag tie?

I don't think it's the CPU to be honest.

I did a stress test where I played some tf2 and recorded the highest outlying temperatures of my CPU and the highest was 52 degrees celsius.

My computer appears to be pretty dusty as well. Maybe the dust overheated my GPU?

I've jury-rigged a lot of computer parts in my time.
Rubberbands will expand and will be rendered useless.
:o

I don't think it's the CPU to be honest.
I did a stress test where I played some tf2 and recorded the highest outlying temperatures of my CPU and the highest was 52 degrees celsius.
My computer appears to be pretty dusty as well. Maybe the dust overheated my GPU?

Use Speedfan to see the temp of your GPU or just use CCC or the NVidia control pannel.
If it's Intel then I dunno.

Most likely.

Can I use a rubber band or maybe a plastic bread bag tie?
Yeah, that'll work perfectly.