Author Topic: Coding Mentor Needed  (Read 830 times)

Hello, this is Boomerangdog, and I am in dire need of someone to teach me more on Torque. All of these tutorials are making no sense to me, and I need to learn more than I already know. I need interactive help.
If anyone can help me, please do so. I basically need taught things that you can make a useful mod with. If someone knows of a WONDERFUL tutorial, and it taught them everything they know, then please share it.

My past experiences with scripting is just modifying DRPG and some mods. I add tons of stuff to DRPG, but I am limited. I want to learn more.

So if anyone can help, please PM me, or meet me in-game somewhere. Thanks!

I will do it. Add me on steam (Nobelium)

Well that was easy. Okay!

I can help whenever, just add me on RTB Connect, name is infiniteLoop.

That's who you are!

Okay, I will add you, ended up all FFSO wanted was DRPG, so I will add you.

Okay.

That's who you are!

:cookieMonster:

This is what you get for looking at DRPG as your first piece of code
but on a reasonable topic I'll help if you ask me. Though honestly - you can't be taught how to code. The real way to learn to code is to just loving look at a piece of code, change a few things, see how it changes things. This way you learn what effects what. You can ask help from the forum at any time. Then when you understand how what does what and who does who and what effects what, then you can move on to some cut and pasting, copying from several different mods to make a new mod. This way you'll learn how to debug. When things don't work out - echo is your friend. Then by this time you'll understand the process of debugging and the parts of coding you should know. You can now write scripts and have fun.

I am somewhere in the center stages. I still suck at putting together code on my own, however many scripts I look at, and the few scripts I have tried have sometimes almost worked. However, playertypes (non-modeled) are a really good way to get a first useful add-on in-game. I've made maybe seven already.

I dunno about you guys, but I started with eval/command line code.
I then graduated into dumping it into a file and then executing the file and such.

-snip-
I agree with everything Brian said here and that is pretty much how I learned.

Lol that wasn't the reason, I was just asking for a part of the code...whatever.

EDIT: Just wasted my 500th post on this.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 06:28:39 PM by FFSO »