Author Topic: In need of a web hoster  (Read 1578 times)

Hey.

I need a web hoster for my domain that has the ability to upload HTML, CSS, and or PHP without having to purchase an upgrade.  Please keep the cost to a minimum, although if there is something more pricey that is great let me know.

Thanks

if you want a free one, there isn't one.

if you want a low priced one, there isn't one.

if you want to pay $60/month then there are a bunch.

http://www.google.com/

http://www.google.com/

wtf what site is $60 a month

Do they allow uploads like that?

I'm not really sure what you're looking for... domain name registration? Web hosting? It sounds like you want web hosting (except for that bit about "hosting my domain"). I also don't know what you mean by "without an upgrade"...

That said...

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

There are a number of free webhosting services (a simple google search brings up http://www.000webhost.com/).

There are literally millions of inexpensive webhosting options, ranging from really seedy $2/month options up to powerful shared hosting with reliable support, running about $25/month (assuming you want shared hosting).

The only time you'd really pay $60 a month would be if you wanted a dedicated server - but I highly doubt you'd want that.

A simple google search of "shared hosting" should bring up what you are looking for (assuming you are talking about what I think you are talking about...).

EDIT: Weebly is NOT what you want.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 07:32:05 PM by cucumberdude »

I'm not really sure what you're looking for... domain name registration? Web hosting? It sounds like you want web hosting (except for that bit about "hosting my domain"). I also don't know what you mean by "without an upgrade"...

That said...
Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

There are a number of free webhosting services (a simple google search brings up http://www.000webhost.com/).

There are literally millions of inexpensive webhosting options, ranging from really seedy $2/month options up to powerful shared hosting with reliable support, running about $25/month (assuming you want shared hosting).

The only time you'd really pay $60 a month would be if you wanted a dedicated server - but I highly doubt you'd want that.

A simple google search of "shared hosting" should bring up what you are looking for (assuming you are talking about what I think you are talking about...).

EDIT: Weebly is NOT what you want.

I want to be able to go to http://www.(mywebsite).com/ and it brings me to the website I created in HTML/PHP/CSS.  I am fine with paying a lower premium like 5 - 15$ a month for it

There's two different things you need then.

First off, domain name registration. Go to namecheap.com and register your domain (indyjones.com).

Secondly, you need webhosting. This is the service that will actually serve the PHP (or whatever else) you have on your site. Again, a google search will do wonders, though I suggest hostgator.com.

Once you have set both of those up, you will be able to go to mydomain.com and view your website. A word of warning - though "you need to start somewhere" holds true, you may want to hold off on buying webhosting/a domain until you are more experienced with how everything works. I would install xampp (google it), a free webserver package that will install apache server software onto your machine (in addition to some other useful stuff, like a mysql database). Once you have some experience with this and a greater understanding of how all this stuff works, you should consider payed hosting.

Or disregard that entirely and blunder your way through setting up your domain name and hosting. Up to you :P

Host it yourself and register a domain.

Host it yourself and register a domain.
Unless he has a static IP (which he probably doesn't...) that's not necessarily a good idea. Even if he did have a static IP, it's usually not a good idea to learn to code (a serverside language) on your home computer while allowing anyone to access it. It's just asking to get exploited.

That said, if he did want to host it locally, he could use dyndns, a fantastic service that allows domain names to point and dynamic IPs. I think the basic service is free, if I remember correctly.

Use co.cc to register a domain, use 000webhost to put it up, and optionally FileZilla as FTP software.

I own a domain already guys.  I am quitting my current webhost because it doesnt support html/php/css

I own a domain already guys.  I am quitting my current webhost because it doesnt support html/php/css
Then they aren't really a webhost...

Then they aren't really a webhost...
okay:
1. Registered www.(mysite).com with Yola
2. Went to 000webhost and made an account registered with the site
3. Went to Yola and changed the nameserver
4. Nothing..?  It says 24 to 48 hours and I don't even know what its doing other than 000webhosts said to do it.

www.heliohost.org

I host my website off of it, you can use PHP, ASP.NET, Ruby on Rails, and a ton of other languages I forgot. It uses cPanel, and you can upload your own scripts/webpages. Stevie is the more stable server, Johnny, what my site is on, has it's ups and downs.