Author Topic: 2012/02/05 - Shadows and Shaders vs. Interiors and Terrain [Fan Art Too]  (Read 430439 times)

If all our maps must be made of bricks, chances are we'll be hitting the brick limit before we get close to finishing the base map.

256,000 bricks is a lot. I'm sure you can build _something_ interesting within that constraint. -- kompressor

I built this a while ago. The brickcount is a mere 30.000. I don't think the current limit is too low.

That sounds like a great fantasy, no idea how it will avoid using up brick count. -- kompressor
i would think it would avoid brickcount because the bricks would just be static (ie: cant edit them at the exchange for less power)? i really hope something like that is possible.

It's not right now. -- kompressor
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 04:47:18 PM by kompressor »

I don't know, what's left once you aren't making terrains or interiors?
Static shapes? water? physical zones?

I think we support making those things. :) -- kompressor
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 04:47:43 PM by kompressor »

To compensate for terrains we could have 1 or 2 bricks called "Terrain" bricks - they would be the brick equivalent of meta-balls http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaballs . these bricks would change form (changing datablock if need be) to match up in shape with the bricks adjacent to it. this way you could have a smooth appearance overall and no sharp edges.
Just reposting this. It sounds somewhat feasable.

I built this a while ago. The brickcount is a mere 30.000. I don't think the current limit is too low.

That's because cubes and it means you're not allowed to have detail/be able to drive over things.

This looks very nice, I just have a few questions and comments:

1: Water will still be in maps, right?

2: The brick limit will be raised somewhat, correct?

3: I think a necessity for this is to fix vehicles glitching through bricks. Really screws up races.

Actually, I kind of like the idea of being able to save builds and convert them into some kind of map on slate that doesn't use up the brick-count.

Although I don't think that's what they're looking for.

That sounds like a great fantasy, no idea how it will avoid using up brick count. -- kompressor
you give it to a scripter modeler person to package it as a brick!

shadows are cool

What kind of support are mappers going to be given once the update passes?
Right now it feels like mapping is going to be off limits and we'd be stuck with a bunch of generic slate edits.
I've got several ideas revolving around .dts shapes.

That's because cubes and it means you're not allowed to have detail/be able to drive over things.
Some sacrifices have to be made. I made two working tunnels though, so in terms of playability it still worked fine.

This looks very nice, I just have a few questions and comments:

1: Water will still be in maps, right?

2: The brick limit will be raised somewhat, correct?

3: I think a necessity for this is to fix vehicles glitching through bricks. Really screws up races.
All of these questions were answered in like the last 2 pages.

Will apparently "shininess" be something you can edit? I dunno, what if you're making something that just looks god awful when shiny? Just a theoretical thing.

or what i'm looking at isn't a bunch of shiny actually?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 04:50:59 PM by The Titanium »

Will the Maps section still be here? Since the only maps available will be variations of slate, that will get rid of most of the maps in that section of the forum. And if that section is planned on being gotten rid of, I was curious if it could be kept purely just for memories sake? Just to be able to remember what all the interiors and terrains looked/were like?
Yeah probably just have to learn to better conserve brick usage
MC seems to look pretty nice with only cubes

I've got several ideas revolving around .dts shapes.
If there was a way to create geometry or something that can be built on in place of terrain and interiors, i'd be happy.

will any DTS object be able to look pretty through this?

It'll cast shadows -- kompressor
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 04:52:02 PM by kompressor »

QFT