Author Topic: 2012/02/05 - Shadows and Shaders vs. Interiors and Terrain [Fan Art Too]  (Read 430708 times)

They're a huge problem to Badspot and Kompressor when trying to add many new features. Having both will just make a bigger mess than it would to just never remove them. Just let go.
That's what I'm thinking. Landscape made out of bricks will look nicer and I'm pushing all for brick terrain support. Already physics with vehicles and bricks is going to improve, just not right away. Nit said already he was working on making "brick mapping" in a way to support larger scale things.

How exactly are shadows going to work? Will each individual brick have a shadow?

Like, say you build a skyscraper. Will the game create a shadow for each brick on the walls, or is there some complicated code that will only make shadows for the outline, and just fill the rest in or something?

It works fine on beta city. I'll let you puzzle it out from there. --kompressor
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 05:50:49 PM by kompressor »

The only issue I've seen with this is the fact that having a large number of bricks can lag at points. If you used something to transfer the terrain of, for example; The Slopes. You'd have a stuff-ton of bricks. Not everyone can take that amount of bricks. I could and many others could as well, but I'm still looking forward to this update!

(Also if I had the option to say making Blockland have RTB-Styled build-able vehicles? Was very interesting during the times of RTB. This would be killer now since our maps will be made of bricks anyways.)

Also, this won't affect weapons in any way will it? I doubt it but I'm just curious.

Would drawback distance's maximum be raised to be able to see the far ends of some builds?  :o

Looks really good, but I just hope everything isnt so shiny like in that picture you posted. It would be cool to have options for how shiny something is... we could replace the lame "chrome" and "pearl" effects for something more interesting.

If terrain and interiors are gone, is there even a point to maps?
All you can make are slate maps apparently, the only difference being the sky, and maybe the bottom texture, if I understand Kompressor right.

Also, if lighting is being edited, maybe we can finally have mirror bricks or something to that sort?

Wait, what about the tutorials?  If the tutorials were made completely out of bricks, then people who play the demo can't load all of them and end up lost.

Would flat maps eventually be able to take advantage of the shaders to make builds more immersive?
For example, a desert map could have a blurry haze in the distance.

Also, if lighting is being edited, maybe we can finally have mirror bricks or something to that sort?

Nope, this was already answered a few pages back.

Also, could someone explain to me exactly what the "shaders" feature is? In the screenshots I can see the shadows, but what exactly are shaders? :P

So this isn't done yet...?

Is it released? Doesn't look like it; in what time frame WILL it be released? 3 days? A month? 6 months? Years? I'd like to know.

Would flat maps eventually be able to take advantage of the shaders to make builds more immersive?
For example, a desert map could have a blurry haze in the distance.
forcing shaders would be nice, so people playing can see what i want them to see, not some dumb "raindow shaders client plugin" mod.

So this isn't done yet...?

Is it released? Doesn't look like it; in what time frame WILL it be released? 3 days? A month? 6 months? Years? I'd like to know.

When it's done.

Sorry if this has been answered, but I don't really want to look through 75 pages to see. In the new shaders is there any chance we will see some bump/normal mapping support?

Komp has said many times that he doesn't know when it will be released.

How much FPS would you expect would be lost from using the shaders (if any at all)?

I don't see a change. I have a good graphics card. They can be turned off if they run too slow for you. -- kompressor
Okay. I get a around 100 FPS, so I'm not worried.