Author Topic: 2012/02/05 - Shadows and Shaders vs. Interiors and Terrain [Fan Art Too]  (Read 430349 times)

Seriously it could just be an "on shadow casted" brick event. Something to justify this to people who don't care about graphics over gameplay.

I disagree with any decision that sacrifices gameplay for graphics.

Ever.

Period.
Interiors are a cancer. They are removing a cancer.

Whoa I did not see this coming. :O
I'm feeling rather torn between those nice looking shadows and loosing some of my favorite maps. Still, defiantly looking forward to this update.

The next update after this (and I'm calling it) will be a replacement of the vehicle system with brick-built vehicles.

Though brick-vehicles would be neat, I would much rather keep the current system. I think an update to the physics system is all that's needed anyways.

this is the perfect opportunity to host a big city build to have both as a default build and as a showcase for the shaders

hint hint

Can I help? :p

I disagree with any decision that sacrifices gameplay for graphics.
I completely agree.

wallet, if bricks are being so improved, and interiors are being scrapped, bricks will probably have to be optimized for vehicles

racing SHALL BE A THING

bam, new gameplay mode entirely

Seriously it could just be an "on shadow casted" brick event. Something to justify this to people who don't care about graphics over gameplay.

In a game where the main mechanic is that you construct your environment, it DOES add to gameplay to make the game look better by removing two ugly systems.

-snip-

The main gameplay feature of Blockland is building. Sure maps added some extra things to explore and build on, but they weren't that great.

his maps are sort of amazingly generic and dull, the lighting is weird, the texturing is weird, there's nothing going on, no ambience

they're really boring, you see. terrifyingly bad actually

and then what's even worse is that they're so amazingly generic that people use his maps instead of making their own generic stuff and getting better as builders, because his generic stuff is not only pre-existing but exactly what they need to make their generic city RPGs or family RPs or whatever

it's sort of like afghan DM syndrome, only afghan DM isn't bad as much as it is overused
only gsf maps i see are cities and those are so broken and i hate everyone who uses them. anti city built on slopes or some other terrain map would look 100x better even if it was just basic styled (afghan detail level) like buildings.
If you enjoy the game because of terrain and interiors then I don't think you really enjoy the core mechanic. Blockland probably isn't for you..
In a game where the main mechanic is that you construct your environment, it DOES add to gameplay to make the game look better by removing two ugly systems.
what's the "core mechanic"? sitting around building cities? terrain isn't only for TDMs. minecraft sucks because it's limited to boring survival. blockland is 100x better because you can do what you want. the "core mechanic" is building, but the heart of the majority doesn't match that (see: the server list). sorry, the dreams of people to turn blocklanders into builders and not fighters doesn't actually match what most people want to do.
>Wish that Blockland had shadows, and cry because it will never happen
>It happens, bitch about losing useless maps
far from useless. i'm not saying we should stay in the past, but you're just handicapped. sorry :)

Interiors are not cancer.
Cancer is deadly, it is a disease, and even metaphorically, that's still not true.

The only ways to make a interior without the interior system without using bricks:
And
Point proven.

I have to agree somewhat. I rarely ever use interior maps. The addition of shadows would make people want to build even more because of how cool it would be.

wallet, if bricks are being so improved, and interiors are being scrapped, bricks will probably have to be optimized for vehicles

racing SHALL BE A THING

bam, new gameplay mode entirely
Good thing that raceway you made is on slate. Speaking of which, why don't you start up a server in celebration?

I'm getting some mixed feelings about this. I just recently started getting into mapping, and was considering making an off-road race track. Vehicle physics on map terrain has always been quite fun. Vehicles on bricks gets quite limited. I'm hoping an answer to that loss is somewhere in the future.

If I had to choose, though, I would go with the shaders. It will encourage more building, and make said builds prettier without dodgy video editing. I'm hoping that eventually the sun and sky can be changed safely for things like sundials.

But what does this mean for lights? How will they work with the shadows? And will it ever be possible to have more of them show up at once?
Will the vector lighting on bricks be pertinent, and could "spammy" building potentially slow things down relatively less if the method of lighting is changed?

this this this

get forgeted wallet

Interiors are not cancer.
Cancer is deadly, it is a disease, and even metaphorically, that's still not true.

The only ways to make a interior without the interior system without using bricks:
And
Point proven.
good post

calm your tits, com

he's not biting you, don't bite him back