Author Topic: 2012/02/05 - Shadows and Shaders vs. Interiors and Terrain [Fan Art Too]  (Read 430732 times)

This topic brightened my day. Shaders and shadows look lovey. I would love to see this ingame as much as the next guy, and I for one can say good riddance to the interiors and terrain.
You'll probably regret it when vehicles are obsolete.

Wrong. If you look closely you can see there is a transparent round brick at the bottom of the sign where it connects to the baseplate.

Way ahead of you bro.

EDIT: Nope, zoom in on the bottom of it. There's an trans brick that is barely visible.

Detective Mega Bear reigns supreme detective.

I'm more concerned about what will happen to the Tutorial.

Also, my question is that if the dynamic light system is going to be changed, or not.

It would be amazing if this was released on Blockland's anniversary, which is 19 days ahead, so most likely no.

I'm more concerned about what will happen to the Tutorial.

Wouldn't be surprised if they made a brick version.

This topic brightened my day.

it made mine so bright i had to wear-

shades.

You'll probably regret it when vehicles are obsolete.
Vehicles can be driven fine on flat bricks, and quite safely on gradual ramps.

a majority of players find them really really fun. you don't represent the majority, the people playing daily do.

Screw the majority. I am the 1% and I want pretty lights.

I'm afraid I can't think of any maps that I will truly miss. Interiors and terrain blocks opened up many possibilities for map creators but nothing valuable was created. We've had years to come up with some truly memorable, useful maps but it just hasn't happened.

As others have said, the brick limit is a concern.

I say ditch the terrains and interiors. We really aren't losing anything special. Hell we could easily replace them with some big ass .blbs, and even get less lag that way.

My one and only concern is collision issues. I hope those are being fixed next over anything.

As to Mr. Wallet: I am a gameplay > graphics guy myself, but dealing with terrain and interiors all the time is irritating. They don't even look like they belong in the game at all. It's like throwing some GTA:SA models into Blockland without any flatshading or simplification.
I will play a fun game, even if it has mashed up themes, but Blockland isn't going to become 'less fun' with interiors and terrain gone.

what's the "core mechanic"? sitting around building cities? terrain isn't only for TDMs. minecraft sucks because it's limited to boring survival. blockland is 100x better because you can do what you want. the "core mechanic" is building, but the heart of the majority doesn't match that (see: the server list). sorry, the dreams of people to turn blocklanders into builders and not fighters doesn't actually match what most people want to do.
No one is stopping anyone from deathmatching or even remotely forcing everyone to build.
A couple of people can still build something and have other players jump in and play some minigames. Sure, someone has to build, but not everyone. Actually, scratch that. If NO ONE EVER wanted to build EVER again in Blockland, there's still default/gallery saves to load. People can still be fighters instead of builders (and no one ever said you had to only pick one, you can do both).

Oh yeah and don't expect to see any DRPG servers anymore.

I'm afraid I can't think of any maps that I will truly miss. Interiors and terrain blocks opened up many possibilities for map creators but nothing valuable was created. We've had years to come up with some truly memorable, useful maps but it just hasn't happened.

As others have said, the brick limit is a concern.

256,000 bricks.

you will not reach this limit unless you either try to construct kansas or try to specifically reach the brick count

if you try to construct kansas, you're probably trying to do the latter