2012/02/05 - Shadows and Shaders vs. Interiors and Terrain [Fan Art Too]

Author Topic: 2012/02/05 - Shadows and Shaders vs. Interiors and Terrain [Fan Art Too]  (Read 430450 times)

I'd rather have terrain and interiors than the game advance any further.
Really, I think you'll just drop in sales. One of the reasons I bought Blockland when I was nine years old was because it wasn't just a blank slate to build on, it actually had cool maps and terrains.

By doing this you're just making it even more of just a creation tool like Minecraft. The maps made it a game, now it's just a 'slate' to do what you want.

I feel you're aiming this game at teens more than younger kids now, which really saddens me. Kids care much more about what's inside than how it looks.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:09:19 PM by Freeze »

Made me think...
someone should make a save-sharing website lol

Hopefully when the update comes out, precipitation will also be fixed so that rain can't go through our brick houses, since precipitation doesn't go through interiors.

Made me think...
RTB could probably do so :D

THE TUTORIAL CONTAINS BRICKS, THE TUTORIAL CAN SIMPLY BE REMADE WITH BRICKS, IT'S NOT GONNA BE GONE FOREVER

But removing interiors aren't going to make people 60% better at building, it might be a game about building with digital legos, but why should interiors, terrain and mapping support be removed in favor for a bunch of fancy effects only a few computers could run?
No but it will encourage them to become better. Practice is all you need to become perfect. Maps like GTT Viano encourage people to never learn how to build. They just slap a door on a building and call it a hospital. But a hospital built by a player out of bricks will be far better quality, and give the player a positive accomplished feeling.

And why should the game hinder itself in order to please people who are lazy, lack creativity, and are too stubborn to upgrade their stuffty computer to run more than 10k bricks.

This whole thing is like a lesson of life: it is always moving forward. Things come and things go. If it never changed, never moved forward, always stayed the same, then what kind of life would that be? Blockland must move out of the old past.

A thought just came to mind...if I wanted to use some kind of vehicle that drives on land, it wouldn't be possible with bricks as terrain (flat lands sure) but when it comes to any sort of slope made of bricks (the exception to this would be ramp bricks, but I'd love to see someone make a landscape out of ramps perfectly)it will end up horribly.

I think you guys are speaking completely out of emotions here.

They're removing a feature to allow a new feature to exist. Once the dust has settled from this, there will be replacements for terrain.

And I don't know if you realize this, but both ROBLOX and Minecraft are hundreds of times more popular than Blockland. Every Walmart I go to has ROBLOX timecards in the back with the electronics next to stuff like Farmville and Runescape. ROBLOX has succeeded in being marketed. Minecraft had it's 1,000,000th purchase months ago. Blockland's last ID was something in the late 30,000s.

You shouldn't fear this kind of change. You shouldn't try and shy away from anything that might resemble another game.

Blockland's strong suite over ROBLOX is that it looks better, and user created content (can be) better, in terms of usability, versatility, and design. Even something like ZAPT just completely Annoying Oranges ROBLOX' zombie mod. Our physics engine and client-side prediction system makes their rocket launchers and weapons a joke.

Blockland's strong suite over Minecraft is that Blockland has its emphasis on design rather than survival. Minecraft in free mode is the equal of Blockland with only 4x4 cubes and about 20 different colors.

Badspot is ambitious. He knows he has a game that's better than ROBLOX and fills a niche in the block-building spectrum Minecraft never will. Don't be surprised if you see more changes that revolve around building. Don't be surprised when the forums get a make-over, and in suite of a more aggressive advertising campaign Badspot begins to ban more often, employing more moderators to clean up behavior.

These shaders are just the foreshadowing of things to come. Watch, it's about to get really different in here.

is it THAT hard to add shadows to the bedroom and kitchen?
yes. Did you even read Kompressor's posts? This will make lighting (as well as possible future features) much easier to implement into the game. Which means that we get to toy around with more awesome stuff.

I don't know about you guys, but I didn't buy Blockland because of how Kitchen and Bedroom looked. To be honest: those two maps are kinda ugly compared to other games (say Call of Duty or any other "realistic" game).
What made me buy the game was the possibility to build something with bricks and play with it afterwards. Some sort of advanced building program with "unlimited" bricks!

Pictures like this made me want to buy the game:

Did you notice anything? None of these builds were built on a map with interior.

One of those "little touches" had better not be the jets.

I'd rather have terrain and interiors than the game advance any further.
Really, I think you'll just drop in sales. One of the reasons I bought Blockland when I was nine years old was because it wasn't just a blank slate to build on, it actually had cool maps and terrains.

By doing this you're just making it even more of just a creation tool like Minecraft. The maps made it a game, now it's just a 'slate' to do what you want.

I feel you're aiming this game at teens more than younger kids now, which really saddens me. Kids care much more about what's inside than how it looks.
 You do have a pont there freeze, although most of the community is teens.

Hopefully when the update comes out, precipitation will also be fixed so that rain can't go through our brick houses, since precipitation doesn't go through interiors.
Yes please.

Made me think...
RTB5 will have save gallery.

Will fakekilled bricks be affected by and/or cast shadows?

Yes. -- kompressor
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:38:42 PM by kompressor »

You act like people can afford £3000 alienwares.

What can take 5 minutes in mission editor takes an hour or more with bricks, and the mission editor terrain STILL looks better.
No I don't have an expensive ass machine and can't afford one. Like Kompressor said, all it takes is a cheap $20 graphics card.
If the real issue is that you are too socially awkward to go to bestbuy and ask for assistance in purchasing and installing a new graphics card, then be a man and admit it, instead of trying to stop progress.

And no, it doesn't. The terrain textures are terribly low resolution, and the geometry is stuff, and any brick placed on it will always look and feel out-of-place.

Blockland of the future:
-snip-
Only that our building blocks are 100 times better. We also have better eventing, vehicles and weapons.
I don't understand why BL doesn't have more users...

Is the New system using a deferred Renderer?  Or a forward renderer?

Forward for now. Cleaning up interior/terrain helps set the stage for more advanced stuff. -- kompressor
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:41:37 PM by kompressor »

MORE ANSWERS

has badspot handed the game to you or something. im confused

I work on certain parts of the game like networking, rendering, and physics.

Good idea.

We should really have a vote

Blockland is not a democracy and neither Badspot nor I were elected. Sorry.