Author Topic: 2012/02/05 - Shadows and Shaders vs. Interiors and Terrain [Fan Art Too]  (Read 430345 times)

Map_SlateBedroom.zip - 304 KB
Haha, this is the best map of all times.
Just for the memories :)

GOD I LOVE THIS
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 05:41:29 PM by Brian Smithers »

I appreciate the effort you've put into this post. It's not just brick shadows - it's a lot of other things. Consider this: there are 4 major renderers in today's Blockland: DTS, interior, terrain, and bricks. That's 6 interactions to worry about. If we cut interior and terrains, it goes down to 1 interaction. Now - things won't become 6 times easier in general. But it definitely makes it WAY easier to do a lot of things. Blockland needs to be agile to be viable. That means making cuts from time to time, and interiors + terrain are our biggest source of technical debt. -- kompressor
I understand this.  However, considering everything I've read thus far, I think we should be offerred a variety of new updates bundled into one.  As opposed to ridding of more and gaining less for a short period of time, it would make sense to have figured out subsitutes for terrain/interiors first.  In short, improve everything, then rid of the old.

Who said we were going to add a replacement for terrain/interior long term? The reality is once a cool feature is in, it makes sense to release an update and let people beat on it. Ship early and ship often. -- kompressor
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 05:41:34 PM by kompressor »

Wait. Future updates? What in the world could they put into the game after this?

Your mom. -- kompressor
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 05:41:44 PM by kompressor »

Wait. Future updates? What in the world could they put into the game after this?
custom cars of bricks?

better brick physics?

lua scripting? (i doubt this would be done but adopting it would make things sooooo much easier, if at all possible)

I honestly don't get why you guys say blockland is going to lose purchases.
The general ignorant community out there prefers graphics over gameplay, and the new shadows look lovely. If anything, it would lure in more potential buyers. Losing people that already own the game doesn't change anything, but It may still be considered a loss of creativity. And besides, you're not losing much gameplay anyways.
Mayeb big sparsely-populated empty maps with 2 bases and some guns, but that can EASILY be recreated. (if you're into that kind of boring long drawn-out gameplay)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 05:43:47 PM by Wehrmacht »

You can't load a build of the slopes.

lua scripting? (i doubt this would be done but adopting it would make things sooooo much easier, if at all possible)

not only for just addon creation or server-side scripts, but it would open more possibilities to events in-game.

you should probably make a defense instead of just saying NO because roblox used it or some stuff

if i hear a word on the issue from kompressor or someone else with experience in this i'll shut up

I understand this.  However, considering everything I've read thus far, I think we should be offerred a variety of new updates bundled into one.  As opposed to ridding of more and gaining less for a short period of time, it would make sense to have figured out subsitutes for terrain/interiors first.  In short, improve everything, then rid of the old.

Who said we were going to add a replacement for terrain/interior long term? The reality is once a cool feature is in, it makes sense to release an update and let people beat on it. Ship early and ship often. -- kompressor
interiors/terrain probably won't be a project for them, but if they somehow stumble upon a new magical way to add in terrain, i don't doubt they would experiment with it.

REALLY? Lua has messy syntax, and it isn't even fully object-oriented. TorqueScript is one of the major strengths of TGE.

Lua has messy syntax

Are you kidding me

It's the best language I've ever used

Kompressor, put this in the OP because the other one keeps having the gyazo error

(you can delete this)

Lua is sweet but not the topic of this thread. Lua is offtopic.