Author Topic: 2012/02/05 - Shadows and Shaders vs. Interiors and Terrain [Fan Art Too]  (Read 430952 times)

Your avatar is giving me a headache with that black border, kompy.

Here you go.

That horrible MS paint sketch actually looks really good at that size, lol.

That is the most realistic looking computer-rendered thing I've ever seen. Spectacular work

I feel like plastic with such intense light would begin to melt at some point. :cookieMonster:

Komp, does that "sun glare" on the bricks diminish at really low angles?

Welp, now I can make maps and not be considered cheap by the community for only making slate edits because that's all that's gonna be there!

Terrains are virtually infinite in size. It overshadows the idea of building with bricks when you can never cover a significant amount of land. Interiors are more tolerable since they are small enough to compliment builds rather than overwhelm them. Good riddance, anyway.

DMs will be interesting as you can track peoples shadows from around a corner!

DMs will be interesting as you can track peoples shadows from around a corner!
Woah, never even considered that. Really cool point.

And, not to nitpick, but does it seem to anyone else that the light is a bit too bright?
He already answered this.

Woah, never even considered that. Really cool point.

And, not to nitpick, but does it seem to anyone else that the light is a bit too bright?
He already answered this.

Agreed. It eats my eyes when I look at it.

I didn't notice the strikethrough. Unless it was after i posted.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 11:12:52 PM by Dexxtter »

Hark! What hero stands on yon streetlamp?

Does that mean that the stud lighting thing is fixed or is it just a coincidence that they match up?

What would the requirements, be to run Beta city 16 with the epic shadows?

I noticed that the title says "shadows and shaders", but all of the discussion has been about shadows, solely. What does this mean, will we see functionality for some neato shaders? Possibly fx bricks with different kinds of shader properties? Bump mapped stud textures? Elaborate?

Man I totally dig these screenshots, even as just eye candy.

I really hope that, with the new lighting and shader system, the FX paints will get an overhaul some time soon as well. (e.g. bricks with the "glow" effect won't have shadows cast on them if that is even possible, animated fx looking better regardless of the size of the brick, etc.)

Also I agree that toning the gleam down a bit would be nice. Perhaps in the future, the Pearl/Chrome effect will give bricks that much gleam, while normal bricks have a more subtle specular effect.

I am genuinely excited for this update and wish you the best of luck getting it finished.

Quick question to Kompessor,

Is water staying? For example slate sea revised.

Quick question to Kompessor,

Is water staying? For example slate sea revised.

Yes. -- kompressor