Author Topic: 2012/02/05 - Shadows and Shaders vs. Interiors and Terrain [Fan Art Too]  (Read 430970 times)

In the other thread, I address the minority against the update

#1: The terrain and interiors aren't being removed in place for the shaders and new shadows; they're being removed, regardless.

According to kompressor, it's hard for them to work with terrain and interiors. So you have to build your maps now, it's not an unreasonable alternative.

#2: There WILL be no compromise. Terrain and Interiors are going to be removed, no ifs ands or buts.

Just that. If you don't like it, too bad. It's going to happen.

#3: If this update ruins your server because it relied heavily on terrain instead of the actual build, chances are nothing's going to be missed.

There, I said it. Unlike you think, terrain and interiors are features that will fade away. If you're part of the minority who thinks otherwise, stop being arrogant and actually read the update notes instead of assuming what's going to happen.

#4: This is an improvement, regardless of things that are lost.

At one point or another, blockland has to expand, improve and push boundaries. To my interpretation, Terrain and Interiors are the current boundary. I know change frightens you, but that's not a susceptible reason to say the update shouldn't happen.

#5: (insert gamemode here) Isn't going to die because of the update.

If you're too lazy to build the map for your server, I'm pretty sure your server isn't worth playing at anymore. Yeah, terrain was a good way to not put as much effort into the build, but I'm sure eventually you'll find a better way to get your leisure fix with workarounds.

#6: No matter how much you try to talk over the majority with the update, you're not going to squelch them.

Again, just that. There's a reason why it's called MINORITY. You're the 'minor' side of the argument, unless you have actual valid points*, your demands will not be met. I assure you a dev is listening, but that's the best audience you're going to get.

*Saying removing terrain will kill the game isn't a valid point

Read up

Wedge has also made a great (long) post about the pros of the update and some common concerns:
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=184699.msg4885134#msg4885134

So basically, in short words, everyone complaining are lazy noodles

Thing is, the removal of terrain and interiors lets us do more than just shadows.
In the long run, things will be better, as sad as I am to see terrain go.

yesyesyesyes

That's a terrible idea, and it's already been addressed by kompressor. They're not going to make a Blockland 2 just because people are afraid of change.

Yeah it doesn't sound like a very convincing argument to me. You can make a decent skybox with screenshots alone if you know what you're doing.

Converting map brushes into polygons then rendering that in blender to create a skybox sounds like a really convoluted way of getting something that looks nothing like what the maps would have looked like in-game.
Aww shucks. I forgot that one major detail. The interiors are made in Torque Constructor aren't they? In that case I have no need for the files.

That's a terrible idea, and it's already been addressed by kompressor. They're not going to make a Blockland 2 just because people are afraid of change.
I hate it when people say this. The reason that some people don't want this update is not because they are afraid of change, but rather because there is nothing exciting about the loss of interiors and terrain.

Seriously, he needs to just start banning people who are suggesting somehow doing some magic split that will solve everybody's problems at once.

You guys aren't getting it. It's not sinking in. Interiors and Terrain are terrible. They haven't been improved in years. The developers lacks the time, effort, energy, and motivation to improve something that will not ultimately influence gameplay in the slightest.

We're using the same bedroom that has been around since v0002. That was 5 years ago. The framework in the engine that hosts the interiors and terrain was so poorly written that just by having it exist it causes problems with other aspects of the game. They are not going to keep it. Get over it.

I hate it when people say this. The reason that some people don't want this update is not because they are afraid of change, but rather because there is nothing exciting about the loss of interiors and terrain.
There isn't anything exciting about amputating a limb to stop an infection, but at least in this case we're being promised a cool robot limb further down the line. Sure it won't feel the same, but we'll get used to it, and we'll probably see plenty of ways this robot limb can be adapted to what we want, and even how in some cases it's an improvement over our old fleshy mortal limb.

There isn't anything exciting about amputating a limb to stop an infection, but at least in this case we're being promised a cool robot limb further down the line. Sure it won't feel the same, but we'll get used to it, and we'll probably see plenty of ways this robot limb can be adapted to what we want, and even how in some cases it's an improvement over our fleshy mortal limb.
But does it cast a shadow?

There isn't anything exciting about amputating a limb to stop an infection, but at least in this case we're being promised a cool robot limb further down the line. Sure it won't feel the same, but we'll get used to it, and we'll probably see plenty of ways this robot limb can be adapted to what we want, and even how in some cases it's an improvement over our old fleshy mortal limb.

Dude......

Seriously, he needs to just start banning people who are suggesting somehow doing some magic split that will solve everybody's problems at once.

You guys aren't getting it. It's not sinking in. Interiors and Terrain are terrible. They haven't been improved in years. The developers lacks the time, effort, energy, and motivation to improve something that will not ultimately influence gameplay in the slightest.

We're using the same bedroom that has been around since v0002. That was 5 years ago.
No it's not lol. The bedroom map from v0002 was really stuff.

But does it cast a shadow?
The robot limb is shiny, awesome, and can be customized to your heart's content. It also casts a shadow.

Dude......

...Continue...?

this sums it up, if you want interiors and terrains you can always go back to playing RTB 1.045 like a peasant

Question to Kompressor:
Is it possible to pull off terrain-like bricks? Like a bedroom brick?