Author Topic: 2012/02/05 - Shadows and Shaders vs. Interiors and Terrain [Fan Art Too]  (Read 430947 times)

How many people are currently developing Blockland? Who?
I think it's just Badspot, Kompressor and doesn't Nitram and/or Wedge do some stuff?

Aww shucks. I forgot that one major detail. The interiors are made in Torque Constructor aren't they? In that case I have no need for the files.

Right.

I thought the Blockland interiors were made in Cartography Shop

Props are terrible and require 1,000 times the amount processing power to render than bricks.

And stop installing every loving weapon you find.
I didn't mean props as in the buggy forgetwads that were the prop system. It can rot. I meant blb props ya dunderhead.

And you'd be surprised how few items I got activated in the weapon category. Try using a tad more intelligence and stop expecting every user to be a Blockhead#xxxxxx

I didn't mean props as in the buggy forgetwads that were the prop system. It can rot. I meant blb props ya dunderhead.
Also know as special bricks. Like the default tree. Nothing to do with props.

Meh, I still think it would be cool to hav .csx versions of Bedroom and Kitchen. I would have plenty of fun from merely examining the interiors.

You have yet to come to terms with the dark reality behind Bedroom and Kitchen. They were made in a very old version of Hammer. -- kompressor
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 01:50:40 PM by kompressor »

BTW this thread is NOT about discussing interior file formats/how they were made etc.

So consider that off topic.

BTW this thread is NOT about discussing interior file formats/how they were made etc.

So consider that off topic.

Right, my bad. I keep posting off topic. :x

I noticed that the title says "shadows and shaders", but all of the discussion has been about shadows, solely. What does this mean, will we see functionality for some neato shaders? Possibly fx bricks with different kinds of shader properties? Bump mapped stud textures? Elaborate?

Kompressor, don't know if you saw this and purposefully didn't answer or if you simply didn't see it, but I'd love to hear your response.

What's the difference between shadows and shaders?

What's the difference between shadows and shaders?

Shaders are a technique for telling the GPU how to draw stuff.

Shadows are... shadows, they make stuff that lights don't shine on darker.

You can use shaders to implement shadows (but it is possible to implement shadows without shaders).

If you've noticed the specular on the blocks, that is an example of a non-shadow shader effect.

I'm sure in time we'll add a lot more neat stuff. Right now we just want to get shadows solid and ship an update that works for everyone!

Would lights create shadows? If they do, could multiple lights make multiple shadows?
?