Author Topic: 2012/02/05 - Shadows and Shaders vs. Interiors and Terrain [Fan Art Too]  (Read 430913 times)

Kompressor, my originial question still remains unanswered.  I asked if, since dts shapes make shadows, and some projectile dts shapes cast a glow, can the shadow be cancelled on that object?

Kompressor, my originial question still remains unanswered.  I asked if, since dts shapes make shadows, and some projectile dts shapes cast a glow, can the shadow be cancelled on that object?

I don't understand what you are asking. Are you asking, "will we make sure projectiles look good?" The answer is yes.

I don't understand what you are asking.

Taken from the Weapon_Rocket_Launcher.cs
Code: [Select]
   hasLight    = true;
   lightRadius = 5.0;
   lightColor  = "1 0.5 0.0";

This should not make a projectile have a shadow.  This is my point.

Taken from the Weapon_Rocket_Launcher.cs
Code: [Select]
   hasLight    = true;
   lightRadius = 5.0;
   lightColor  = "1 0.5 0.0";

This should not make a projectile have a shadow.  This is my point.

I have noted your point.

I think he is asking if the light emitted by the projectile will make the shadow invisible.

I think he is asking if the light emitted by the projectile will make the shadow invisible.

Why would projectile lights cast shadows? We've already said that only one light will cast shadows - the sun.

Also note the explosion sphere for the rocket launcher.  The explosion also has glow properties.

Also note the explosion sphere for the rocket launcher.  The explosion also has glow properties.

As far as I can tell, you are assuming we will never run the game after turning on shadows, and then ship it with a bunch of bugs. :)

I was pretty sure that you mentioned DTS objects (such as projectiles) would have a shadow (from the sun). I wanted to know if a light that was emitted by the projectile would 'cover up' the bullet's shadow.

I am pretty sure I am just going in some completely different direction here.

As far as I can tell, you are assuming we will never run the game after turning on shadows, and then ship it with a bunch of bugs. :)
Not at all!

I was just wondering if you were aware.

I was just wondering if you were aware.

Yes, probably a lot more than you, since I am running the code and you are thinking about it on a web forum. :)

I would categorize this as backseat coding.

And nobody likes a backseater!

« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 02:56:16 AM by s245 »

Yes, probably a lot more than you, since I am running the code and you are thinking about it on a web forum. :)

Is it wrong that I read it multiple times that you are ruining the code?

fixed.
I'm quite certain Kompressor already implemented per-pixel lighting. He mentioned it earlier though not directly. Something along the lines of vertex lighting being removed and the lighting on the bricks being really smooth.