Author Topic: 2012/02/05 - Shadows and Shaders vs. Interiors and Terrain [Fan Art Too]  (Read 430931 times)

So. Is it possible for bricks to cast shadows from light sources? Or will all the shadows be from the sun?

We have to rerender the whole scene at least twice for every shadow casting light source. Imagine taking your framerate and dividing it by (4 + # of shadowcasting lights * 2). In other words, if you get 60fps right now, you would get 6 fps with just one or two shadowcasting lights.

So we are going to just do one directional light for now. Maybe eventually we will allow multiple lights to cast shadows.

Well can you at least make it so that a light doesn't bleed through bricks?

We have to rerender the whole scene at least twice for every shadow casting light source. Imagine taking your framerate and dividing it by (4 + # of shadowcasting lights * 2). In other words, if you get 60fps right now, you would get 6 fps with just one or two shadowcasting lights.

So we are going to just do one directional light for now. Maybe eventually we will allow multiple lights to cast shadows.

The feature would be great for people who wants to take nice DOF screenshots, though, it would be an easy way of griefing.

This is not a feature request thread.

The feature would be great for people who wants to take nice DOF screenshots, though, it would be an easy way of griefing.

Are there any plans in place for other "official" shaders to come after shadows?

So you're telling me if I get 30FPS right now, with shadows and shaders I'll get 3?

So you're telling me if I get 30FPS right now, with shadows and shaders I'll get 3?
No, with more than just the sun casting shadows you would get that.

Well he has a point, the new shadows and shaders will look bad if we can't have nice looking lights in the first place.

i'm sure eventually multiple lights will be possible. it already is possible as seen in many games.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkDKjQr2ea8&feature=related

Wait, I see it now.

We have to rerender the whole scene at least twice for every shadow casting light source. (4 + # of shadowcasting lights * 2)

So divide my framerate by 5, I'll get an average of 6FPS with shadows and shaders on?

Wait, I see it now.

So divide my framerate by 5, I'll get an average of 6FPS with shadows and shaders on?

No. That's only if you want every light to cast shadows.

Wait, I see it now.

you forgot the bloom counter