Author Topic: Slate Bedroom & Slate Kitchen [+v21 update]  (Read 12442 times)

With the ~v21 update interiors and terrain will be removed from the game and there are a lot of people who are very much against this update. Many will mourn the loss of these two classic maps that are iconic to Blockland. We can bring them back as DTS shapes and do a little fiddling to simulate actual interiors but it won't be the same. Not to mention the Bedroom has ~5000 triangles so those with archaic computer might not be able to handle it especially with several players on the server.

I am determined to bring these maps we all love back in another form. As Slates. As skyboxes. You will still be building on an endless flat land but when you look around it looks like you are still in Bedroom! With one obvious problem. The skybox does not move as you move as it simply consists of 6 static images. It is not a three dimensional model. It's still better than nothing, right?

Creating the skyboxes takes around 2 minutes, but that is not the problem here. The interior models I have of the Kitchen and Bedroom are triangulated and the geometry is horrible. (They were not originally modeled in a 3D modeling program.) I need to practically recreate the entire Bedroom and then UV map. Both of those take days. (More or less due to the fact that I am very lazy.)

But in the end we will have several Slates of both Bedroom and Kitchen. I can guara- actually no I can't. I'm honestly that freaking lazy. Feel free bug me with PM's weekly about this. Maybe it will help get these finished.

As I explained earlier the skyboxes are location specific. Once the skybox is rendered in one spot you can't move from that location. Because of that a single skybox from either map is not enough. What if you want to go on top of the bed? Well tough luck, you can't. That's why I'm taking requests of locations from where to render the skyboxes. They are listed below and more will be added once they are requested and I feel like editing this post.

Bedroom - Modeling done, texturing done, working on lighting
Spawn floor near the door
On the light spot on the floor
Under the bed
On the bed
On the shelf
On the drawer

Kitchen - Started work on geometry (22/02/12)
Spawn floor
On the large table
Under the large table
On the hanging flower pot

Below is a render of a proof of concept untextured Bedroom skybox. The weird floating face thing marks the intersection between 3 faces. There are no seams.

Bedroom before UV mapping.

Bedroom after UV mapping.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 05:40:35 AM by Demian »

Awesome, a nice memorial to Blockland's past.

If there was a good blb converter for .blend files, then you could just make the entire bedroom into a brick
I'd honestly laugh at that.

There is a default Bedroom build. But I'd like so see how this turns out.

I actulley want V21 to happen
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 11:12:40 PM by GWT »

Modeling done on Bedroom. Time for some UV mapping.

so basically it would be a creepy map where you could walk forever, but you could never touch anything but the carpet?

Modeling done on Bedroom. Time for some UV mapping.

-sneep-
Something looks odd about the wall
ninja - derp. It's that shelf XD

so basically it would be a creepy map where you could walk forever, but you could never touch anything but the carpet?
Correct. You can move as much as you like and the skybox never changes.

Correct. You can move as much as you like and the skybox never changes.
That sounds like stuff you find in a nightmare! D:

That sounds like stuff you find in a nightmare! D:
I guess it is a bit creepy to travel in something that appears to be a perfect 3D space when it isn't.

loving optical illusions

UV mapping done on Bedroom. It took a total of ~8 hours to model and texture this.

It feels SLIGHTLY different. But it works great. When can I see it ingame?