Author Topic: Catacomb Snatch | A free game by Mojang! (Bugfixed download included)  (Read 4068 times)

Catacomb Snatch is a shoot 'em up strategy game with steampunk and Ancient Egypt themes developed by Mojang for the Mojam Humble Bundle. The Mojam sold 81,572 bundles and raised US$ 458,207.95 for charity.

Both the genre and theme were picked by a survey on Mojang's website (combination of the the highest and lowest voted of each). The gameplay consists of shooting enemies and their spawners to get coins which the player uses to buy turrets, coin collectors, bombs, tracks, and bots to collect the victory resource. Gold walls can be destroyed by bombs to access the central area with the victory resource. The game can be played single- or multi/2-player with players starting on opposite sides of the map and competing to see who can fill their collection percentage first.
Wikipasta, deal with it.

TL;DR: Surprisingly awesome game Mojang made in 60 hours + few minutes where you shoot anything that moves to collect coins and attempt to reach the center of the map and gather the treasure before your opponent. It supports online 2 player games too. I totally love the graphics and audio.

Mojang is okay with the game being distributed by the fans for free. Below is my own build of the game with the following bugfixes. No additional features.
  • Fixed harvester freezing game when being destroyed
  • Fixed inverted scoring
  • Fixed online lag (To some extent)
Download: http://mirror.dataorb.net/Catacomb%20Snatch.jar
22MB - Virus scan

Here are some totally cool buttons for the menu made by Graloth.

Jut drag the image into the jar file.

Controls

WASD / Arrow keys / Numpad 8426: Movement
Space / Alt / Control / Shift / C: Fire
R / X: Build and destroy rails, buy robots
E / Z: Buy items at the store, pick up and throw items

Notable Gameplay Mechanics

Base: You can buy items at your base with the Buy key (E/Z). Items cost coins that you get from killing monsters.
Spawners: They spawn random enemies at random intervals. They can be quite tough to destroy and they also respawn after a while. You can also pick up spawners and move them around.
Death: You respawn in your base and you drop all of your coins. No other disadvantages.

Items

Turrets: They cost 150 coins and automatically attack any nearby enemies. Your bullets cannot hurt them but enemies can.
Harvesters: They cost 300 coins and automatically collect any nearby coins and diamonds. Your bullets cannot hurt them but enemies can.
Bombs: To blow up a bomb you need to throw it at the ground and shoot at it until it explodes. They can only destroy the golden walls but are also able to kill monsters. They cost 500 coins.
Robots: They gather the treasure from the center of the map and need rails for movement. To buy robots, stand at the start of the rail in your base and press the Build key (R/X). They cost 50 coins. Be careful though, your own bullets can hurt them unlike other structures.
Rail: The player can lay down a single piece of rail at any time with the Build key (R/X). They cost 50 coins per piece.

Mobs

Player

Health: 10
Damage: 1
Speed: 1
Robot

Health: 10
Damage: 0
Speed: 0.7
Mummy

Health: 7
Speed: 0.5
Snake

Health: 3
Speed: 1.5
Bat

Health: 1
Speed: 1
Screenshots

So it begins.

Quite peaceful for now.

Turrets!

Delicious coins.

Darn these respawning monster spawners.

Time to get rid of that pesky wall.

Over time the amount of monsters increases.

Monsters tend pack into quite thick masses in the small corridors of the central area.

Noo! My precious coins! All gone!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 08:51:32 AM by Demian »

I played it when the HUD was gray and all you did was move around and shoot things

and the spawnere looked like test enemies

I had no idea the bundle was already up.
And I just found out the bundle is over.

i am going to scream

"Lord Lard"
lol
It's Notch's Arm Wrestling name! Don't you dare mock him!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6EUkTqMMKE

Also shirtless Jeb.

Page 2 bump. I'm trying to export my bug fixed version of the game but I can't get it working. I'll try again tomorrow.

Anybody hosting a server tonight?

TIL "Jens" is pronounced "Yens"

Wish I could of got a bundle in time. :(

How long was the bundle up for?

It fits the category of steampunk RTS lol. It has steampunky devices, and it's a tower defense.

It fits the category of steampunk RTS lol. It has steampunky devices, and it's a tower defense.

Isn't a tower defense like

you don't attack

This game has game breaking bugs in it due to the small time period it was created in.

The bugs include: The Harvester crashing things, playing online drastically reducing the FPS, and some other things I forget.

Gonna load up the source in Eclipse and try to fix things.