Poll

Do you agree with the OP?

100% - Yes, It's like the OP read my mind.
75% - Yes, I think most of what I've read holds true.
50% - Meh, Some of it I agree with, some of it I don't.
25% - No, For the most part, I don't really see any of this, but I can agree with a few things.
0% - No, The OP clearly has no idea what he's talking about.

Author Topic: Blockland Today - The Fun Is Missing... Or is it?  (Read 22209 times)

I have an idea of a downloadable add-on that adds a blockland style button to the main menu (compatible with BlockOS) and will give you a library of Video Tutorials.

Okay, I'd like to find a few problematic areas of Blockland that are rather avoided an need to be addressed.  Pick some points and think of some how2's.

So, what do you think? Am I hitting the nail on the head? Or speaking total rubbish?

You are taking a sledgehammer and slamming a very small needle right in the face.

This has been brewing in the back of my mind for some time but I have never came to full terms with it. It seems like the server hosts are now completely ignorant to better technique for better eventing, and building, and optimization, and... you get the point. You have taken a topic out of an obscure place and explained it to an extent far further than I could have ever done.

I applaud you for this.

I like how members post once how they agree, then the same 4 users that completely disagree continue to post.

I would love to put the time into things that I used to but as per being an adult that time I have to spend on professional development and i doubt I can get into a company with pictures of things I made in Blockland.

Also, one thing I was literally about to do was make something called the "halfway server". It would have been a place where the smarter people could kick back and relax and talk about things that we could relate to. Almost like a console command and messing around haven. A goal was also to smooth the learning curve from the smart, creative and inventive people to coding and modeling novices. Also, when I had maybe learned how to model/script, I'd actually be motivated to share the information, unlike some add-on makers I know.

With servers like Bushi's, he (and I wouldn't blame him) would not, ABSOLUTELY NOT go off on a rant about how to make add-ons. Now the thing I do blame him and others LIKE him is that there is no attempt whatsoever to try to distinguish the annoying noobs and the listeners apart from eachother. And when the good people get treated like that, they don't have any sense or motivation to be better.

I don't want to threadsteal here, but I had aspirations. And here's something that I can put work into and feel good about it and not fear that it wouldn't get finished/abandoned.

:D

I keep on going to Fob's, and always learn something and have fun.

I keep on going to Fob's, and always learn something and have fun.
Me too.

New maybe for the group pic. Still trying to decide on something to replace the orange sky, IDK what though.
Suggestions?

It looks amazing, just crop it down. The extra space really doesn't make much more of an effect.

The extra space really doesn't make much more of an effect.

Yes it does, what do you mean?

The focus is shared by the emptiness and the small scene, as opposed to only being dominated by the blockheads at the table
Emptiness says alot there, arguably more so than the middle

Yes it does, what do you mean?

The focus is shared by the emptiness and the small scene, as opposed to only being dominated by the blockheads at the table
Emptiness says alot there, arguably more so than the middle
IMO its a little bit too much. Crop it down to about 75-80%, centered on the characters, and it retains the effect without making the centerpiece look that insignificant.

I like how members post once how they agree, then the same 4 users that completely disagree continue to post.
I like how the members who disagree have Bisjac and Badspot on their side.

-snip

New maybe for the group pic. Still trying to decide on something to replace the orange sky, IDK what though.
Suggestions?

Maybe a gentle gradient that is lighter around the players and darker at the edges??

I came to look at the forums, having not played Blockland since the day befor Xmas, having only just heard about the new shading/shadows, but I came into general discussion, and saw this topic. Anyway, I hosted a decent server in december(a winter/xmas Trench CTF/TDM) and I got about 15 people to join a couple of times, and it was at the top of the server list for a while, but Im not that good a builder, and my internet wasnt too fast, so I couldnt expand on it and as a result it sortof died down. I totally agree with the whole thing about people hosting terribly made servers, getting all the top places on the server list, and I wish there was a group of people who would get together and make a few high quality servers, and I would be willing to help. I have noticed though, having been on BL since v10/v11 I have noticed the number of badly made servers rise along with the number of people buying blockland. In a way, I think you should still have to forward your ports, because it sort of gets rid of all the 9 year olds that host. I have no problem with them playing, and buying the game, but I think it was because of that that I drifted away from BL.

I've seen your replies, and I was originally going to crop it down a bit so that it was more of the focus in the steam picture, but Nexus's reply made me think. It seems better to keep a lot of the background area in view.

Also, the thing about this is:
1. It's the younger member, with the hat and quiver, slightly leaning forward, the one asking and trying to learn.
2. The older one, with the pegs and hooks and helmet, leaning back slightly, in no hurry at all.

(And how big is the steam group image frame? 128x128?)

EDIT:

Maybe a gentle gradient that is lighter around the players and darker at the edges??

I was thinking of a yellowish-orange to red gradient sky, with the orange at the bottom and ascending to red with some light, high clouds that are like lines. I wanna see if this is in a skybox already.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 08:11:31 AM by 300spartan »