Author Topic: V14 Be able to play all those maps we all like!  (Read 4235 times)

Can someone explain to me why V8 was better and prove to me that you all aren't just looking through rose tinted glasses.

This.

Seriously, I've been around for quite a long time and I don't get all the teary-eyed nostalgia to something vastly inferior that we have. Yes, I do miss a great deal of people from back then, but this this "v8 is was better *sob*" is nonsense. We had idiots back then too, we had trolls, we had clueless kiddos and other people you complain about. On the top of that, we had an add-on system which was easy to mess up, lots of bugs and glitches left open, ripe for abuse, etc.

V8 was a much more simpler time back then.

V8 was a much more simpler time back then.

all you talk about is old stuff, get with the present

This.

Seriously, I've been around for quite a long time and I don't get all the teary-eyed nostalgia to something vastly inferior that we have. Yes, I do miss a great deal of people from back then, but this this "v8 is was better *sob*" is nonsense. We had idiots back then too, we had trolls, we had clueless kiddos and other people you complain about. On the top of that, we had an add-on system which was easy to mess up, lots of bugs and glitches left open, ripe for abuse, etc.
It's not the features, it was the servers. People hosted good ones back then, with very few family RP, city RP, etc.  Most of the servers were TDM or free build servers with good admins, and although we didn't have as many good weapons as we do now it still was fun.

this
Your idea is a 9k, how would you know what v8 was like.

Can all of us older folks agree v8 were the days?

I'm a v8er and I enjoyed that time a lot.

It wasn't "better" though. It is just a rose tinted past for most people. It was nicer for some because it was a smaller community, there was a free market of mods (which was good and bad), and there was just less bullstuff.

People RP'd better. CityRPGs in v8 were basically just a city build and a cash mod which was tied together by the willing roleplay of the players. Where as now you get over produced mods and idiots who bounce around asking "how can i get moeny pls" and missing the whole point.

Blockland now is great because of events, the bug fixes and improvements, the better file download system when connecting to servers, punch packets and UPnP, and many other things.

I think v8 was just the best of Blockland before it took the next step in its evolution. In my mind v8 to v9 was about as big of a milestone as Vanilla to Retail. I believe v21 is going to be the equivalent of v9 for the generation of players now.

It's not the features, it was the servers. People hosted good ones back then, with very few family RP, city RP, etc.  Most of the servers were TDM or free build servers with good admins, and although we didn't have as many good weapons as we do now it still was fun.
Going back to v8 won't bring back the servers and people you used to play with so it's still a bad idea to go back to it

It's not the features, it was the servers. People hosted good ones back then, with very few family RP, city RP, etc.  Most of the servers were TDM or free build servers with good admins, and although we didn't have as many good weapons as we do now it still was fun.
it's because back then you were 4-3 years younger.

you probably didn't look at things with such a mature eye as now. I can't enjoy a family RP now, but 3 years ago i loved 'em.

Also CityRPGs are great. Don't group them into a class as family RPG. A server is only as good as its host.

I joined in late v10.

OT: Yeah sure I'll join up or something. There wouldn't be that many people though.

A server is only as good as its host.
this man speaks the truth.

it may be hypocritical of me to say, but don't judge a server based on what type it is, but how idiotic(or ingenious)the host is.

I've been playing since v0002 under a different name and then I played the demo until v9 then when I joined the very next day v10 came out.
I used to be one of those guest lurking the forums before v9.

What are you guys smoking?  V8 was great, yeah, until we got all those updates that we were dying for.  Events, physics, UPnP, countless optimization add-ins, etc.  I'd much rather stay with our current version than stick with v8.