Author Topic: Average Data Use Per Client Per Hour?  (Read 707 times)

Does anybody know what the average data use would be on an Internet connection for the server per Blockland player?

I was thinking about hosting, but we are capped at 20GB per month. I wanted to host something 24/7 for a wee while and I'd like to know if there is a rough average of how much data the server has to receive and send per client. I'd like to calculate a good number based on my upload & download speed.

Does it vary depending how many people are on the server at once, or what packet setting each player they has? Is there an "average" at all or is it impossible to tell?

Thanks in advance.

I saved this old quote from Badspot:
Quote from: Badspot
As far as bandwidth goes, you need 32kbps of upload per player to make sure you don't bottom out.  So for a hundred players you need at least 3.2Mbps of upload.  Also this needs to be real, sustainable bandwidth.  I know that some cable providers give you a little boost for the first few minutes of heavy usage but will eventually throttle it back down.  Also [tinfoil hat] I suspect they may artificially prioritize popular speed test sites.

For cpu usage, it's number of bricks * number of players.  100 players with ~5000 bricks is probably no problem, but 100 players with 100k bricks is basically impossible.

Ah brilliant, thank you for that!

I'll through this out there:

In February, I used 1267GB total (286GB down, 981GB up), over about 15-20 servers.

I have a network limit too of 40GB (12am-8am free, unlimited usage).
I can happily run a server for an hour or two a day with 10 people for about a week before the numbers really start to build up, which isn't too bad, but it just shows that to host anything for an extended period you need to either severely limit the player access, or get a ISP that offers no limit.

The amount of GB you guys used, your talking about bandwidth right? I have unlimited, so there shouldnt br an issue right?????

I wish there was a reliable VPS service. I had Slick host for me for free which was wonderful but it was too restricted and I had little control over it. And Kalph, I don't trust you with my money. :/

Sounds like I won't be able to host a regular just yet based off the figures you guys are reporting.

I loled when you talked about the money part, I would trust Kalph though, a lot of people use his servers. Even if people didnt its only like $6 a month? Or  is it more?

I loled when you talked about the money part, I would trust Kalph though, a lot of people use his servers. Even if people didnt its only like $6 a month? Or  is it more?

Mmm I guess but I've heard people do nothing but complain about Kalphs shall we say "customer service".

When somebody is 'doing it from their garage' they have little liability and can just disappear. I'm not saying Kalph would necessarily, but you know what I mean.