Poll

Did you sign the petition? (Reread the first post)

Yes because it is a violation of the constitution
41 (50%)
Yes(other reason) [State below]
1 (1.2%)
No because while it is a violation, this petition won't do anything
20 (24.4%)
No (other reason) [State below]
20 (24.4%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: "Remove "In God we trust" from legal tender" Petition on Whitehouse.gov  (Read 23894 times)

I vote no cause im a real american

IF the atheists don't want the slogan on the money, I say, don't use the money!

IF the atheists don't want the slogan on the money, I say, don't use the money!
WRONG  ANSWER

Someone needs a laxative.

I care more about "act of god" being a legal term and thus put into school textbooks than what's on my money.

Money is just a piece of paper that lets me get stuff that I want as far as I'm concerned. It's meant to be spent/saved/whatever, not stared at.

Someone needs a laxative.
WE COULD HAVE FOUND THE THING
AND THIS IS WHAT WE DID
I TALKED ABOUT A DAM FAKE SPACE BUTTERFLY FOR FIFTEEN MINUTES
WHILE YOU WENT AND GOT A DAM SHIELD
IN A STUPID UNDERGROUND SFDGSTS FILLED WITH THINGS THAT EAT YOU

I care more about "act of god" being a legal term and thus put into school textbooks than what's on my money.

Money is just a piece of paper that lets me get stuff that I want as far as I'm concerned. It's meant to be spent/saved/whatever, not stared at.
THIS

ALL MY THIS

It is still a violation of the first amendment's wall between church and state. It is imposing the ideal of a christian god ruling all over atheists and those of other religions, therefore violating the establishment clause.

It is still a violation of the first amendment's wall between church and state. It is imposing the ideal of a christian god ruling all over atheists and those of other religions, therefore violating the establishment clause.
I will argue to the grave that having in god we trust on our money is not a violation of the first amendment
it may be "imposing the ideal" but it is in no way forcing anyone to believe and worship.

I will argue to the grave that having in god we trust on our money is not a violation of the first amendment
That idea of God is that of a single religion. Money is government property. The Establishment clause reads:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion"

Therefore the law passed to make a reference to the Christian god on federal property is a violation of the first amendment.

That isn't respecting an establishment of religion.
What respecting refers to in this case is stuff like paying taxes to a church or forcing someone to believe in a certain religion, or follow the rules of a religion that do not apply to one's own belief.

That isn't respecting an establishment of religion.
It is. The phrase "In God We Trust" directly respects the Christian church.

It is. The phrase "In God We Trust" directly respects the Christian church.
What? Almost every religion has a god, it could be respecting any religion.

its for christianity only

'God' implies Christianity