5 (2%)
Agnostic  
32 (12.6%)
Jewish
3 (1.2%)
Other
26 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 252

Author Topic: Religious Views?  (Read 19817 times)

i'm really not getting your point behind this

it's symbollicly evil or something?
I'm saying the original purpose of prayer was to try and get some god to "forgive you". Because if you didn't it would kill you/send you to somewhere bad after life.

I'm saying the original purpose of prayer was to try and get some god to "forgive you". Because if you didn't it would kill you/send you to somewhere bad after life.
and the extension of your point is? the original purpose of praying was that and... what, this invalidates modern prayer?

Praying is benefitial. There's actually a great deal of science behind why it's good for you (putting aside whether or not you believe in the spiritual side). As I said, it's the christians meditation.

The purpose behind bowing down while praying, to my understanding is this-
When people used to bow, they would look towards the ground and expose their necks, it's sort of symbolic for putting their life in whoever they're bowing to's hands. If, say, a king wanted to kill you, he'd take his sword and chop your head off at the neck. So when you bow, you're really saying "I'm devoting my life to you, if you don't want it, you have the power to kill me right now." So when people pray, they do the same. Or at least, that was how it started out.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 04:49:54 PM by Mysteroo »

This whole topic was flawed from the start. The OP is asking us what our religious view is, but lists specific religions along with a religious stance (atheism) and a philosophical stance (agnosticisim).

If the goal was to determine what religions people followed, he should have asked, "What religion do you follow?", with a list of various religions and an option of "No religion" which would be your atheists, as atheism isn't a religion.

Another option would have been to ask what everyone's religious standpoint was, which would include the four stances: gnostic theist, gnostic atheist, agnostic theist, and agnostic atheist.

Just figured I'd throw that out there.

This post was flawed from the beginning because not everyone is as literal as that. :cookieMonster:

This whole topic was flawed from the start. The OP is asking us what our religious view is, but lists specific religions along with a religious stance (atheism) and a philosophical stance (agnosticisim).

If the goal was to determine what religions people followed, he should have asked, "What religion do you follow?", with a list of various religions and an option of "No religion" which would be your atheists, as atheism isn't a religion.

Another option would have been to ask what everyone's religious standpoint was, which would include the four stances: gnostic theist, gnostic atheist, agnostic theist, and agnostic atheist.

Just figured I'd throw that out there.
Eh. What?
I put like... 2 seconds of thought into the post.

Eh. What?
I put like... 2 seconds of thought into the post.

yeah, and it shows

Meh. forget it.
All this arguing is stupid, and to stop another one, ill just lock the thread.