An assessment of, "Game reviewing" and whether it's actually useful.

Author Topic: An assessment of, "Game reviewing" and whether it's actually useful.  (Read 4332 times)

Game reviews aren't supposed to give a spot on review, they are supposed to give a basic starting point. If you are reading something, you either disregard things (because you don't agree) or accept them. Then you come up with your own rating.
The margin for error is so dramatic, it can't function as even a fairly accurate starting point.

i look at the rating and then read through the reviews. it gives me a well rounded opinion of whether the game is worth it or not, and so far hasn't done wrong by me.

the system works
No, you work.

Metacritic is still broken because it attempts to assemble all of the reviews into one number that is supposed to, "accurately represent a consensus" which it doesn't lol.

If you are reading something, you either disregard things (because you don't agree) or accept them. Then you come up with your own rating.
The margin for error is so dramatic, it can't function as even a fairly accurate starting point.
No, you work.

Metacritic is still broken because it attempts to assemble all of the reviews into one number that is supposed to, "accurately represent a consensus" which it doesn't lol.

If you are reading something, you either disregard things (because you don't agree) or accept them. Then you come up with your own rating.

you can't come up with your own rating if you don't buy the game and play it. if you buy the game regardless of reviews, then reviews are useless.
your logic makes absolutely no sense.

you can't come up with your own rating if you don't buy the game and play it. if you buy the game regardless of reviews, then reviews are useless.
your logic makes absolutely no sense.
You read the review, see if his opinions are similar to yours, and then base off of that. Is that better?

I think a problem with the major game review sites is that there is little to no accountability for what people write about a game or who sponsors them. There have been several instances I can think of where a major game critic site sparked controversy over their review in some way. Video game reviewing isn't a serious form of media though so such behavior often gets forgotten by many people and nothing changes.

Without actually looking at individual scores Metacritic doesn't show the polarization that often occurs in the reviews it aggregates. An example being some game with a score of 60 composed of many scores of 90 and 10. No one is saying that the game is just mediocre, people are either loving it or hating it. You need to read the individual reviews to see that and at that point what was the point of the "convenient" aggregate score in the first place? With that said scores on Metacritic have a habit of trending down so when I do see a game with like an 85+ score that is usually an indicator that a lot of people actually do like a game.

There is no catch-all objective way of evaluating video games. If you are unsure about a game you need to read reviews, watch gameplay, and try demos. It's all a matter of personal taste (and advertising dollars for some people).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 11:49:35 PM by Otis Da HousKat »

the problem is a videogame these days costs 60 bucks a pop.

we don't have the money to go and blindly pick out games based on their covers.

You read the review, see if his opinions are similar to yours, and then base off of that. Is that better?
No because you don't know who has bias and who doesn't.

Imagine a game has these reviews:

review 1: Graphics loving sucked, but I really liked the difficulty 7/10

review 2: graphics and difficulty were okay, about average.5/10

review 3: graphics were great but the game was WAYYY to eassy. 4/10

You have no clue who prefers difficulty over graphics or vice versa.

So you have no basis to understand how each reviewer calculated their score, which makes you unable to judge the game based on what attributes YOU like.

I think a problem with the major game review sites is that there is little to no accountability for what people write about a game or who sponsors them. There have been several instances I can think of where a major game critic site sparked controversy over their review in some way. Video game reviewing isn't a serious form of media though so such behavior often gets forgotten by many people and nothing changes.

Without actually looking at individual scores Metacritic doesn't show the polarization that often occurs in the reviews it aggregates. An example being some game with a score of 60 composed of many scores of 90 and 10. No one is saying that the game is just mediocre, people are either loving it or hating it. You need to read the individual reviews to see that and at that point what was the point of the "convenient" aggregate score in the first place? With that said scores on Metacritic have a habit of trending down so when I do see a game with like an 85+ score that is usually an indicator that a lot of people actually do like a game.
I thought this over and I was considering writing about it, but I think that badly summarizing scores is an issue too.

In a perfect review company, there's 25 reviewers who have to review a game based purely off of the individual category they enjoy most and find the most important. Additionally, they cannot read any other reviews until they complete their own and must have utterly virgin eyes to the game to avoid bias.

No because you don't know who has bias and who doesn't.

Imagine a game has these reviews:

review 1: Graphics loving sucked, but I really liked the difficulty 7/10

review 2: graphics and difficulty were okay, about average.5/10

review 3: graphics were great but the game was WAYYY to eassy. 4/10

You have no clue who prefers difficulty over graphics or vice versa.

So you have no basis to understand how each reviewer calculated their score, which makes you unable to judge the game based on what attributes YOU like.
I thought this over and I was considering writing about it, but I think that badly summarizing scores is an issue too.

Yes you do, how the forget did you come to this conclusion? If someone says graphics suck, but say that it was nice and hard and gives it a 7/10, you know it probably earned that BASED ON THE DIFFICULTY. Also, you are just putting in those 1 second reviews, which NO ONE should base anything off of.

In a perfect review company, there's 25 reviewers who have to review a game based purely off of the individual category they enjoy most and find the most important. Additionally, they cannot read any other reviews until they complete their own and must have utterly virgin eyes to the game to avoid bias.
It's a review. By its nature it's going to be heavily subjective based on the personal tastes of the people playing the game. Unless you resort to just stating technical facts there isn't much you can do to make it objective.

Yes you do, how the forget did you come to this conclusion? If someone says graphics suck, but say that it was nice and hard and gives it a 7/10, you know it probably earned that BASED ON THE DIFFICULTY. Also, you are just putting in those 1 second reviews, which NO ONE should base anything off of.

If a reviewer calls a game a 7/10 and they calculated it based on (difficulty out of 10 + graphics out of 10)/2, you have no way to tell which individual category got which score.

If a reviewer calls a game a 7/10 and they calculated it based on (difficulty out of 10 + graphics out of 10)/2, you have no way to tell which individual category got which score.

Again, you are basing this off of those horrible 1 second user reviews. If you actually read a proper review, it should go in depth about the scores.

I'm pretty sure IGN takes bribes.

Again, you are basing this off of those horrible 1 second user reviews. If you actually read a proper review, it should go in depth about the scores.
yeah but someone who doesn't give a stuff about graphics shouldn't even have to input it into their score.

the different attributes of a game don't have some magical coefficient that determines how important they are when totaling different categories into one review.