Author Topic: Problems with particles on turrets  (Read 939 times)

I noticed that particles emitted from a turret I made vanish when exceeding a certain distance to the emitter. I've tested this on another turret I made (Same problem) and the default tank turret where the particles work fine.

Anyone knows what is causing that?

While speaking of turrets and emitters, does anybody know why particles sometimes are emitted into the wrong direction? The node is facing in the right direction, but I have to give the particle emitters negative velocity values so they fly in the correct direction.

I assume it isn't a problem with lifetimes?

Bump.

Another problem: Does anyone know why the screen turns white when I enter some of my turrets and Blockland crashes right afterwards?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 01:46:34 PM by Gravity Cat »

Here is a part of the code that defines any particles and answers your first question.

datablock ParticleData(GunTrailParticle)
{
   lifetimeMS      = 120;
   lifetimeVarianceMS   = 0;
};

For more information and explanation: http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=59525.0

Here is a part of the code that defines any particles and answers your first question.

datablock ParticleData(GunTrailParticle)
{
   lifetimeMS      = 120;
   lifetimeVarianceMS   = 0;
};

For more information and explanation: http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=59525.0
I assume it isn't a problem with lifetimes?
It isn't.

Yeah Yeah I realized that.

If the particle datablock is defined correctly, then you must notice that particles are linked with emitters.

datablock ParticleEmitterData(GunTracer)
{
         lifetimeMS = 100;
};

I don't want to repost myself. He said it wasn't a problem with the lifetimes.

Okay if the particle and emitter datablock are all the same over your two turrets and the tank turret, but you got a different effect on one of your turret. The next possible reason I will consider is the way the emitter is used over three turret is not the same.

Since you said that you tested the emitter on tank turret, I will assume all three turrets use the ShapeBaseImageData datablock to make the emitter appear. If the image on one of your turret is defined differently from other two, surely you will get a different effect.

why particles sometimes are emitted into the wrong direction?

This is because the any joint (that emits particles) has its own direction.

If you are using milkshape3D, the direction of each joint is not displaced. However in Blender, the direction of joints are nicely shown and can be changed easily.

Okay if the particle and emitter datablock are all the same over your two turrets and the tank turret, but you got a different effect on one of your turret. The next possible reason I will consider is the way the emitter is used over three turret is not the same.

Since you said that you tested the emitter on tank turret, I will assume all three turrets use the ShapeBaseImageData datablock to make the emitter appear. If the image on one of your turret is defined differently from other two, surely you will get a different effect.
Everything is the way it is supposed to be. I've checked many times. The particles vanish when they exceed a certain distance to the turret. How fast the particles go, how big they are or how long they do or are supposed to exist has absolutely no influence on if or when they vanish. They always vanish after a certain distance, which never seems to change.

This is because the any joint (that emits particles) has its own direction.

If you are using milkshape3D, the direction of each joint is not displaced. However in Blender, the direction of joints are nicely shown and can be changed easily.
You don't say. Even if I did mess up the direction of one (Which is impossible in Blender since it's so obvious) I would have noticed because I exported the model at least five times by now.

Have you tried applying rotation, location and scale? It might do something.

Have you tried applying rotation, location and scale? It might do something.
I'll give scaling a try.