Author Topic: Let's all tell each other what we love or hate to see in a Blockland DM.  (Read 2267 times)

Gotta love themes.

Gotta hate Platforms.

Crowbars
Themes
Dislikes:
Cliffs

Love:
-Classic-type DMs where you spawn with basic weapons and collect better weapons as you move around the map.
-Unique themes. As in something that isn't just some generic industrial scene or rundown city.
-A gamemode that I haven't seen in popular FPS games. Because they're all overdone.

Hate:
-'Weapon Selection Rooms'
-'Class Selection Rooms'
(both of these are possible to do completely server sided without having the player spawn and use some broke-ass events just so they can get spawnkilled or remain AFK in the spawn room, or even clog up the limited space)
-One-sided TDMs. Seriously, if you notice one team is winning 90+% of the time, even when it's completely different players, fix it.
-Current grapple rope and hookshot. They're just way too useful to be considered fun. Everyone's just flying all over and nothing ever gets done except fall damage. I've balanced the hookshot before. I found it useful and people kept complaining how they can't just fly all over the map with it.
-Multiple weapons from several different themes/packs. They do not balance well at all. Default guns will always beat tier tactical guns, and people usually price the defaults at a lower cost. Some weapon packs are more powerful than other weapon packs, making the other weapon packs not even used, causing them to just take up space. And when they do get used, the user will just complain that the other weapons are overpowered.
-Vehicles. They seriously just don't work right now. Anything that isn't a wheeledvehicle or a flyingvehicle (aka AiPlayer) ends up being unusable or unfair. (horses move fast and have lots of health)
-Rules. If you need to have a rules board before you spawn in a PvP orientated server, and a constant team of competent admins present at all times, or a vote kick system... Consider revising your server. It needs work.

Dislikes: Campers, Spawnkillers, Idiots who go like "Iz pr0!!!111", Idiots who don't understand "Melee combat", Rocket noobs *They use rockets up close*, Idiots that go like "Umadbro??!!" after they've killed you.

That's all I can think of right now :/

coherent theme
asymmetrical but BALANCED battlefield
classes that actually make sense (ie not giving an assault class a weapon that also functions too well at long range)
large playing field
attempt to integrate tactics

Dislikes: Campers, Spawnkillers, Idiots who go like "Iz pr0!!!111", Idiots who don't understand "Melee combat", Rocket noobs *They use rockets up close*, Idiots that go like "Umadbro??!!" after they've killed you.

That's all I can think of right now :/
I lol'd at every one of these.

2160 no scope triple kill game winning kill

any blockland dm utilizing walters BF3 weapons.
they are all stuff, stop using them.
i also hate afghan dm. and every other default save being used.
i love creativity when it makes the dm fun, but not when it makes the dm really hard and agonizing.
i love objective squad-based tdms when done right, or mission tdms. rykuta was pretty nifty at hosting those.
i hate a lack of effort, incompetent admins, or a totally incompetent host. I hate over-used game types, like FALLING PLATFORMS OR KNIFE TDMs.

I should also mention that I dislike two-handed weapons. A Blockhead may not have visible arms, but that does not excuse his hands flying three feet out in front of him to grasp a sniper rifle.

I should also mention that I dislike two-handed weapons. A Blockhead may not have visible arms, but that does not excuse his hands flying three feet out in front of him to grasp a sniper rifle.

This is all that really bothers me in DMs/TDMs.

ridiculously tight weapon select forcing

in other words, dms that have exactly one kind of weapon: bonus points if it's a loving knife

dms that pride themselves on being all about 'all skill' instead of being 'all fun'
Where's the like button?

Edit:  Also would like to make some "Vertical D-Day" invasion up or down a mountain face.  Using Grapple Ropes. <-- The only good cause is a tactical, non-bladed approach.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 10:26:59 PM by SWAT One »

dms that prioritize gimmicks over gameplay instead of the other way around

if what you're hosting is essentially an elaborate way to say "LOOK AT THE THINGS I MADE" and is designed to highlight your stuff instead of your stuff being used to highlight the best parts of your deathmatch you are doing it wrong

I like teamwork based gamemodes alot. It's like what's scarier, one bee, or 30 bee's?

What I've began to hate is Trench TDM's, anything with Walters guns, and over detailed builds that focus more on building than gameplay.

That's the one thing I noticed. You can be amazing at building houses and office buildings but you can't make a team deathmatch.

I like teamwork based gamemodes alot. It's like what's scarier, one bee, or 30 bee's?

What I've began to hate is Trench TDM's, anything with Walters guns, and over detailed builds that focus more on building than gameplay.

That's the one thing I noticed. You can be amazing at building houses and office buildings but you can't make a team deathmatch.

Give me a few days, and I can come up with a decent trench TDM that kinda works like a normal DM.
Sure, it would take a while, but overall, it would be kind of interesting.