Author Topic: Will V21 fix brick lighting issues?  (Read 641 times)

With v21 coming and all, it's pretty neat to see that Blockland's lighting will be redone. My question, though, is whether or not v21 will fix brick lighting issues. For example:

• Lights from bricks shine through other bricks
  • Only a limited number of brick lights can be seen at once, and that number is very small. Demonstrated in this old video.

So, will v21 fix these or not?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 07:57:53 PM by Pliny »

With v21 coming and all, it's pretty neat to see that Blockland's lighting will be redone. My question, though, is whether or not v21 will fix brick lighting issues. For example:

• Only a limited number of brick lights can be seen at once, and that number is very small. Demonstrated in this old video.

So, will v21 fix these or not?

I'm pretty sure the second one will be fixed.  The first one is maybe.

Also, typo in the title

With the shadows improving, I'm pretty sure the lighting system will improve too.

I'm pretty sure the second one will be fixed.  The first one is maybe.

Also, typo in the title

Everything seems to be spelled correctly?

Everything seems to be spelled correctly?

It's not exactly spelling.

Will V20 fix brick lighting issues?

The lights going through bricks is something that Kompressor said he might try and work on fixing sometime in the future

The lights going through bricks is something that Kompressor said he might try and work on fixing sometime in the future
better be

It's not exactly spelling.

Ah, thanks. Sorry about that.

Fixing light bleeding through requires the calculation of shadows.

Quote from: kompressor
We have to rerender the whole scene at least twice for every shadow casting light source. Imagine taking your framerate and dividing it by (4 + # of shadowcasting lights * 2). In other words, if you get 60fps right now, you would get 6 fps with just one or two shadowcasting lights.

So we are going to just do one directional light for now. Maybe eventually we will allow multiple lights to cast shadows.