Author Topic: In-game server advertising.  (Read 1247 times)

I've seen countless players in the IRC spamming to others to join their server, and it's not really a good way to advertise your server, is it? There needs to be some better form of server advertising in-game. There are players who don't use the forum, so they might get stuck.

This is an idea I had in mind; the host of the server would take a special screenshot of their server while it's running, and somewhere on the server list, there would be an additional section where the screenshot would go, with a random chance of appearing between screenshots taken by other hosts of other servers, and clicking on it would automatically highlight the server's name on the list. Maybe Badspot can create an update for it after v21?

Yes, I know there is an IRC channel used for looking for servers, but most players aren't even aware of its existence. And asking people to join your server on the general discussion channel is rarely ever effective.

I would hate having advertisements in Blockland.

No one ever said you had to install it.

The point was to advertise a random server.

Would be interesting if done correctly.
Sounds somewhat similar to the server screenshots on blockland.us
I don't think it would help advertising though.

Like users can create a banner and it displays on your main menu, click the banner and it connects to the server. Banners cycle with your background between all available banners. When uploading your banner you do it with your name and the server name, and only uploaded banners for servers on the list that aren't full can be shown.

By authenticating by server name rather than IP (when you upload your upload IP would have to match the master server listed IP for the server) it means that it won't show your Freebuild banner if you're hosting a deathmatch or whatever, and by not showing full servers' banners it means someone using it to skim servers wouldn't be shown ones they can't join.

Maybe have clientside keep a cache of servers you're banned from and not show them either, as well as each banner being uploaded with a list of tags and clients can filter or weight choices based on tags to show stuff they're more interested in. Manual banner approval would also be kind of required otherwise people would upload stuff we don't want shown (research for attention grabbing, shock images, incorrect tags, etc)

Sound about right?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 02:42:31 AM by M »

Sounds cool.
Until someone makes a goatse banner.

Yeah, or someone makes something like (No offence Glass)

"JOIN GLASSES snake 24/7 IT IS AWESOME,FREE love FOR EVERYONE"

Lol

I think this is slightly what the server preview was meant for.
People can see your server build a bit and then they can decide more easily if they want to join or not.

And then we come up with the stuffty ingame money and advertising like on stuffty stuffblox

And then we come up with the stuffty ingame money and advertising like on stuffty stuffblox
Please refrain from trying to force your opinion on some other game onto a suggestion for Blockland.
It is good to know that Roblox has such a weird system that might not work, but some people might actually like Roblox here.

And they are always watching....

Anyhow, in-game money is a silly idea indeed, but i am sure Badspot would never go that way. :)

So...

Server host supports man123s server,host hits a button,and an ad apears going "Join Man 123s server TODAY!"

Right?

It's not like people will use it anyways.

RTB4 added a special chatroom for people who want to advertise their servers.
Nobody.
Litterally nobody.
Is using it.

RTB4 also has the feature of blocking people AND choosing to not get messages from anyone but your friends.

Having something added to the join menu would be a good idea, as it's currently plain and boring.