Author Topic: DAY Z MEGATHREAD - OP finally gets this mod.  (Read 105532 times)

The best way to play is play like you're playing regular ArmA, and know that you'll die in most PVP encounters so your best chance of survival is to shoot them as much as possible.
I think I just care so much about not dying that I get super stressed. I played Haven and Hearth for well over a year and a half (if I recall correctly), which is a game that also has perma-death and anyone can pretty much murder you. While playing Haven and Hearth, I had the same longing for not dying. Except not so extreme, really.
I think it's because in DayZ anyone can kill you, while in Haven and Hearth only well established plays have a chance of killing you. While exploring the NW airfields I only felt safe doing it on a server with two other people on the server. I only stay on low-pop servers and have actually disconnected a few times when I heard gunshots in the area.
I really need to take the game less seriously and loosen up. I just can't for some reason, however. The fear of loosing all of my gear and having all of that wasted playtime because of some goon who sniped me in the back is too great.
However, I still play it. If I die, the cycle will just repeat itself. Heh.
Sorry for the wall of text.

If you raid the airfield at Balota right when you spawn, you'll get a great assault rifle within 10 mins of char creation. That's the primary reason I don't really care if I die, I'll just respawn to grab a nice gun.

Been playing this game quite a lot recently. After dying lots, my team of me and my buddy are pretty well armed at this point. We haven't found any vehicles yet. Disappointing, to say the least.
I love the feeling and atmosphere in this game, but it just stresses me out so much. Does it do this to anyone else?
I have honestly never had a game ever get my heart beating this fast when I realize someone is around me and could easily put a bullet in my back if they catch me off-guard. It's crazy.
That's exactly how I feel :I. I have a team of three but mostly play as 2.

it should also be noted that everybody kills no matter what, nobody trusts anybody and the new players that you meet on the coast will backstab you
maybe you'll find that one nice player that you'd want to play with again
maybe

Just killed a guy. He was running around killing zombies with an AKM. We asked him to come out of the apartment and get on the ground. He refused and said he'd kill us so we threw a grenade inside and killed him.

Me and my friend had a great (relative to us) session today.
We found a fixed helicopter that was hidden behind a shack, he took off in it to pick me up since I was full of food and a camping tent.
However even after flying way out north in the middle of nowhere, some team saw us and hauled ass in their army truck and took it, but it barely had any fuel left.
But luckily we respawned together in elektrowhateva and have been raiding buildings. We now have an ACU, crossbow, enfield, bunch of food, drink, and bandages, knives, compasses, binoculars, watches, crowbar, and some other things. Our most successful run thus far.

Try to find something better than a crossbow.
These things really really suck.

Try to find something better than a crossbow.
These things really really suck.
This. They're quite literally useless.

This. They're quite literally useless.
Crossbows are easily the best zombie weapon ingame. If you can't/don't use them, you're missing out.

Crossbows are easily the best zombie weapon ingame. If you can't/don't use them, you're missing out.
I hope you're joking. 1 ammo takes 1 invo slot.
My mp5 SD works fine for any zombie threat. DMR for player threats.

I hope you're joking. 1 ammo takes 1 invo slot.
My mp5 SD works fine for any zombie threat. DMR for player threats.
Except the crossbow is silent, powerful, and bolts can be retrieved 90% of the time.

Except the crossbow is silent, powerful, and bolts can be retrieved 90% of the time.
Except it isn't that powerful, takes up way to much space, and has 30m of range. I'd honestly take a makarov over the crossbow. Cause it's still a one shot if you shoot them in the head.

In "oh stuff" moments you are doomed when having a crossbow.
A single bolt takes up a single inventory slot and the crossbow isn't even 100% accurate as it had a bug the last time I played.
The weapon is almost useless against players due to the extremly short range , low ammo count and the bug.
You could probally kill a zombie or two if they are blocking your way while sneaking in somewhere but really it's not worth the inventory space. Your crowbar could do a similar job aswell as it is completly silent and has "infinite" ammo.
It's certainly not the best zombie killing weapon. Against more than 1 zombie you have no chance with the crossbow. A very good zombie killing weapon is for example the Winchester - atleast against a horde of zombies.
For sneaking you should take the Makarov as it is very silent for an unsilenced gun. The .45 weapons were so nerfed that they are practiclly useless now anyways.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 05:39:51 AM by Gear »

can't you aim slightly upwards with the crossbow to get more range or something
or is 30m the max range you can do that with

can't you aim slightly upwards with the crossbow to get more range or something
or is 30m the max range you can do that with
Try to aim properly with the crossbow ironsights and try to hit something that is 100+ metres away.