Author Topic: ■ The Photography Megathread ■  (Read 244515 times)

I have something to share - something that isn't a flower (yay):

http://quintruplutt.tumblr.com/

Yay, lamps! If you're up for suggestions... Next time, try to maybe keep the bushes in the lower right out of the shot. This, of course, can be fixed by cropping. Overall though, great picture. You got your thirds and depth pretty spot on.

Yay, lamps! If you're up for suggestions... Next time, try to maybe keep the bushes in the lower right out of the shot. This, of course, can be fixed by cropping. Overall though, great picture. You got your thirds and depth pretty spot on.
Oh wow I actually didn't even notice those bushes until just now! Thanks for the feedback :)

I haven't posted anything here for a while! Here's some that I've taken lately

P1090142 by TophatC, on Flickr
^That one is pretty grainy :(

P1090137 by TophatC, on Flickr

P1070909 by TophatC, on Flickr

P1070929 by TophatC, on Flickr
^Ugh, I should have left more room under their feet, but there's nothing I can do about that now.

P1070913 by TophatC, on Flickr
^gd blurry heads

stitched_rectangle by TophatC, on Flickr

I went to Alexandria, near Washington D.C. and only took pictures of the sidewalk. Well, only had pictures I liked of the sidewalk.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 10:19:26 PM by Sirrus »

At first glance, I was confused; I thought it was a single picture. Good pictures, though. I definitely like the second one the best.

And.... I'm back to flowers (I like this one a lot, though)

Ok, I must say, I like this one a lot. It has the feeling of evil vs good, dark vs light, night vs day, etc. Was that your intent, or did it just come out like that?

Somewhat, yeah. I loved how the white flowers sat between shadow and sunlight, and I loved the contrast between the bokeh far background and the sharp, detailed foreground. I loved the balance between light and dark, and so I started editing it in post.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot; lovely bokeh. Just lovely. I wish I had a lens with a low enough aperture to produce that kind of bokeh. What equipment do you use? I just have a D50, standard f/3.5 lens.

Decided to mess with a photo using HDR settings on photoshop CS6, some results turned out, while others, had a few minor oddities in them such as that weird purple haze around the tree and the weird blue glow around my uncles boat.

Original:

Edits:

Oh yeah, I almost forgot; lovely bokeh. Just lovely. I wish I had a lens with a low enough aperture to produce that kind of bokeh. What equipment do you use? I just have a D50, standard f/3.5 lens.
I'm just using a Nikon 55-200mm lens that came standard with my D3100. Surprisingly, though, the aperture on that photo is only f8. I have found that that lens does produce a nice depth of field. Also - the green background (which is a bush. In fact, the top of said bush can be seen in my lamp picture) is about 10ft away from the foreground.

Kill that HDR with FIIIIIIRRRREEEEE. Seriously. There's a time for HDR. I don't know what that time is because I've never thought "damn what I need right now is some HDR."  I don't think any process is inherently wrong or should be entirely avoided just because it is what it is. I know however that if you end up with the sky being darker than the ground (at least in a color photo,  you have more creative license with value in B&W) you overused HDR somehow.

Seriously those pictures did not turn out.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 11:51:12 PM by PrototypeCow »

also sorry for double posting but how do you guys get ultra-sharp pictures like Quintano Man did? it seems that my focus is always off slightly even though it looks good in the camera sights.