Author Topic: What in the heck is wrong with my welcome message???  (Read 1640 times)

Ok, here's my problem:

I am trying to make a custom welcome message for when I run my server. However, when I put in what I want to be the message, it doesn't show up when I start my server. (Not a dedicated btw.)

Just so you get my method, I'm editing the file: Blockland\base\config\server\prefs.cs
And I'm editing this line:
Code: [Select]
$Pref::Server::WelcomeMessage = "\c2Welcome to Blockland %1."; Now, that piece of code works as a welcome message, but I don't like teh defaults. So, I change the above line to:
$Pref::Server::WelcomeMessage = "\c2Welcome to my server %1. Don\'t annoy your host."; Technically, this would work just fine (except the %1 part which is the player's name) in a messageAll("","above line here") thing in a normal piece of code. But when I open up Blockland (yes, I saved the prefs file), and start my non-dedicated server, I get nothing at all in chat when it goes to the loading datablocks screen and such.
So I'm really annoyed now. So, I try something stupid, and change the line to:
$Pref::Server::WelcomeMessage = "\c2LOL this is a test %1.";
I save, close file, close and reopen Blockland, start a new non-dedicated, and to my amazing suprise, IT WORKED!
Now I was annoyed that the message I wanted didn't work, but this piece of **** message did. I then thought that my problem was not having the %1 variable at the end of the message, like that was the problem. So I change the line again to:
$Pref::Server::WelcomeMessage = "\c2Welcome to my server, don\'t annoy your host %1."; I save, close, restart blockland, start server and...
TOTAL CRAP. No welcome message shows up.

Somebody tell me what the heck I'm doing wrong... That, and I'd also like it if you could give me a version that is all blue except for the cyan name of a person... (which I know is done with colorcodes \c1 and \c4 in that order)

Badspot

• Administrator
You don't need to escape the apostrophe because it's not a tagged string. 

Type /colortest in game to see all the color chat codes.  You can also add color tags (like this: <color:001122>) and get any rgb color you want. 

I did actually know the color codes before I showed up here, and I only escaped the apostrophe because it seems to do that to my server name pref automatically for some reason. ("KirbylikesIt\'s Server of Fun")

But I try getting rid of the \ in muh welcome message and I still get nothing...
The problem I'm having involves the welcome message just plain not showing up for some unknown reason... So that's why I posted, I'm wondering if anyone knows why the message isn't showing up for me when I start my server.