Author Topic: Pixel Art  (Read 783979 times)

Princess Toadstool in the original SMB (left) is kind of hideous, so I drew this adorable sprite (right) to see if I could do better than a mid-80's Nintendo employee.

Princess Toadstool in the original SMB (left) is kind of hideous, so I drew this adorable sprite (right) to see if I could do better than a mid-80's Nintendo employee.

It looks good, but it doesn't fit with the rest of SMB.

(then plastiware posts a(n) SMB romhack where he's redone all the tiles)

(then plastiware posts a(n) SMB romhack where he's redone all the tiles)
aka the one you commented on right?!

Why can't 10 be it's own symbol?
what if you tried putting a number like 5098?

5 10s, then 9 then 8

if you had a symbol for 10, you'd probably have symbols for 100, 1000, etc.
and they'd work together with the other numbers, take Japanese for example

五千九十八

五 - 5
千 - 1000
九 - 9
十 - 10
八 - 8

Looks alright to me.

aka the one you commented on right?!

That was a straight-up remake, not a ROM hack.  Though if it's good enough it can be mistaken for one, I know I'm doing something right.

Does that use the NES palette?

That was a straight-up remake, not a ROM hack.  Though if it's good enough it can be mistaken for one, I know I'm doing something right.
i was more referencing the fact that you have your own version and that the peach would fit better in your remake i'm not a silly lumpagumpagus! but if it makes you feel better uhh ya i confus it

Looks alright to me.

I can think of a few things that are off...
The princess would share skin color with Mario, as do Luigi and even Bowser. Enemies like the Koopas, Cheep-Cheeps, and Lakitus also share the same yellow color.
The black eyes look out of place when all the other characters do not have black eyes, except the Goombas and Bullet Bills. But the black is also used for other stuff in that case.
The princess's arms and face are too small compared to Mario's.
Most of the sprites don't have pixels that connect diagonally (like on the crown). The only thing I can think of that do is the Koopa shells.
Also, the hair kinda looks off. Not in relation to Peach's actual hair, but in comparison to the rest of the game. I don't know how to really explain it, though.
To me, it's weird that nearly all the characters face either to the side or at the screen (except Cheep-Cheep and Lakitu, though he's looking down at Mario, so...), except for Peach.
Finally, it looks a little too detailed compared to the rest of the game's simplistic look.

I dunno, maybe it's just me.

Does that use the NES palette?

That's kind of a complicated question, actually.  In short, yes, but there's more.

"the NES palette" is kind of vague.  While it does have a limited ~52-color palette, what those colors looks like depends on your TV's interpretation of the video signal.  They aren't concrete RGB values.

This is the NES palette that I use.  I ripped it from the palette I use for FCEUX; I don't remember the source of it, but the guy who made it claims he based it on real NTSC video display, so it's pretty accurate to the colors you'd actually see on a TV.  I also like it because it's just a little more aesthetically-pleasing than your typical "stock emulator palette".

improved it a bit before working out, but forgot to upload it :p

improved it a bit before working out, but forgot to upload it :p