Author Topic: Screen vibration output event.  (Read 607 times)

I am requesting a client output event that makes the player's screen vibrate. The same kind of screen vibration that happens when the player lands on the ground after jumping/falling.

There should also be a little slider that adjusts the level of vibration. The minimum being the screen shaking only very lightly, and the maximum being the screen shaking extremely violently.

Actually there could be multiple sliders

the function takes these arguments:
[freqency] [amplitude] [length of time]

so we may as well take advantage of all of them

I feel like there has been a projectile or explosion that is exactly this.

HammerExplosion?

HammerExplosion?

Depending on what you are going to use this for, use the LargeTest explosion to shake someone's screen.  Unfortunately, if player damage is on in a minigame, then they will be killed by this.  I think the other thing i was thinking of was the Shockwave projectile, I'm unsure whether it causes damage or not, but I do believe that it causes the screen to shake.

I was planning on making an explosion pack of these.

I was planning on making an explosion pack of these.

If the Large, Medium, and Regular Test explosions do cause damage, then you could just remove the damage scripting and leave the vibration effect.

I don't want it done by projectiles or explosions. I just want it done via an output event.

a blackout event where the screen would shrink to the center would also be pretty cool, for example;
 on activate -> player -> blackout -> circle/square/diamond.. etc

so you can do stuff like;
on activate -> player -> changedatablock -> topdown player

a blackout event where the screen would shrink to the center would also be pretty cool, for example;

I wish

the middle one would be easy with pixel shaders....look to V21

Although this isn't a bad idea, how does it relate to this thread?

I don't want it done by projectiles or explosions. I just want it done via an output event.
I can't think of any way to do this other than explosions.
Small radius, no damage explosions with screenshake.
It could be a separate event, but it would still work by spawning explosions.
And constantly modifying datablocks to match the thousands of possibilities that could be entered by the sliders wouldn't be a good idea, it would probably just be a good number of presets.

the middle one would be easy with pixel shaders....look to V21
I'm withholding judgement on this until we know exactly what is possible with the shaders

I'm withholding judgement on this until we know exactly what is possible with the shaders

I see your point, however kompressor has stated that extensions will be permitted in some popular format like GLSL (which would be the most obvious, since the engine uses OpenGL after all). If he doesn't change his mind, we will definitely be able to do that and tons more.