Author Topic: C (Programming)  (Read 1896 times)

I have been looking around for a decent tutorial/guide for starting to learn C. There are plenty of them but I am wondering if anyone has found one that is particularly good?

Do you know any other languages? If so, just use a reference and wing it. You'll be fine. Otherwise, google. They all do well. I recommend googling tutorials on things you want to do then piecing them together.

I was working on some Objective C things but I don't know much. I figure learning C first would be better for learning Objective C and then having the base for C++

Eh. C is kinda old and dead. No one really uses it unless they need to. Which is rarely, C++ literally used to be called "C With Classes", they're practically the same thing. ++ is just a play off of the number incrementation operator, int i = 2; i++; i is now 3.

So learning C++ would probably work out.

I honestly recommend learning a scripting language first. I perfer Ruby, but Python is an easy learn and teaches you how to think like a programmer without confusing syntaxical rules and errors.

Not true. You can do a lot with python, practically everything you can do with C++. The only real difference is C++ runs faster and compiles into binaries. Not to mention, it's just to wrap your head around programming. I mean, I started with visual basic. I'd recommend python over that, lol.

Not true. You can do a lot with python, practically everything you can do with C++. The only real difference is C++ runs faster and compiles into binaries. Not to mention, it's just to wrap your head around programming. I mean, I started with visual basic. I'd recommend python over that, lol.
You can't write drivers with Python. And the GUI libraries are fairly bad. But other than that, yes, pretty much. Except for if you use Cython (which translates Python into C code).

Python is useless.
I've seen numerous companies ask for both Python and Ruby on resumes.  C++ is obviously a must.  Java is good to know, and C# is probably a good idea.  Some Assembly doesn't hurt either.  Though it's basically dead as well, it shows an understanding of how the hardware works, which is obviously valuable.

I've seen numerous companies ask for both Python and Ruby on resumes.  C++ is obviously a must.  Java is good to know, and C# is probably a good idea.  Some Assembly doesn't hurt either.  Though it's basically dead as well, it shows an understanding of how the hardware works, which is obviously valuable.
Not really, lol. It all boils down to what the place uses. There isn't really much of a point to using C++/assembly nowadays other than writing drivers.

Not really, lol. It all boils down to what the place uses. There isn't really much of a point to using C++/assembly nowadays other than writing drivers.
C++ is still the fastest thing around, and in the games industry, is still very heavily used.  C# has a place, but until it gets faster, it won't be dominant.  And I already mentioned that they don't use assembly.  My point is that knowing it makes you a better programmer because it teaches you how the hardware does things, which can allow for you to write better code.  Regardless of what is used, it's still good to understand the basics. 

C++ is still the fastest thing around, and in the games industry, is still very heavily used.  C# has a place, but until it gets faster, it won't be dominant.  And I already mentioned that they don't use assembly.  My point is that knowing it makes you a better programmer because it teaches you how the hardware does things, which can allow for you to write better code.  Regardless of what is used, it's still good to understand the basics. 
DING DING DING.
Other than games, the difference isn't really noticeable on modern hardware.